BBMF Lancaster under maintenance at Duxford
The RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s Avro Lancaster recently arrived at the Aircraft Restoration Company’s new Stephenson Hangar at IWM Duxford to undergo major maintenance work
The Lancaster, the sole flying example in Europe of the most successful heavy bomber of World War Two, will undergo major maintenance work in the Stephenson hangar over the winter months.
For the first time, visitors to IWM Duxford will be able to see the maintenance work in progress from a viewing gallery on the ground floor of the hangar.
Included in the major inspection is the servicing of all of the instrument systems and undercarriage.
At the conclusion of the major inspection, the aircraft will be repainted in a new scheme. The major service is due to be completed in April 2017.
Images courtesy of IWM Duxford.
Filed Under Historic Aviation News.
Interested in Historic Aviation?
Most Read News...
- RED ARROWS RETURN TO RAF COSFORD
- Shuttleworth Collection prepares for post-Christmas Engineering Open Workshop Dec 29-30
- Warbird flights will support Battle of Britain charity
- Search for Dambuster's stolen log book
- Dakotas to gather in California for special event