UK Coastguard warns against ‘rescue watchers’
May 28: The Maritime and Coastguard Agency nearly aborted the rescue of a man and young girl stranded on cliffs in Lulworth in Dorset after crowds gathered to witness the rescue would not stand clear of the helicopter.
Portland Coastguard Search and Rescue Mission Controller Dominic Lonsdale said “Despite the best efforts of Coastguard Rescue Officers on scene, members of the public refused to clear the area for the helicopter and the rescue had to be put on hold. Although it may be tempting to try and get close to an incident or to take photographs of a rescue in progress, the members of the public who hampered the rescue today put two people’s lives at risks by disallowing resources to reach them.”
Interested in General Aviation?
- Aviation News. The Past, Present and Future of Flight
Most Read News...
- SAUBER F1 TEAM FLIES WITH PILATUS
- EasyVFR for Windows
- VirtualFly OVO-04 maintenance study
- New HUD for Experimental and Light Sport Aircraft
- Record breaking racing aircraft returns to Bedfordshire