Red Arrows to open London Olympics
The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, is to perform a flypast over the London 2012 Olympic Stadium.
Gary Parsons - 27-Jul-2012
July 27: The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, is to perform flypasts over key Olympic sites today.
The team will represent the Royal Air Force, the Armed Forces and the United Kingdom at the Opening Ceremony with flypasts in formation over London 2012 Live Sites, including Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, before a flypast of the Olympic Stadium and the Central London Live Sites in Victoria Park and Hyde Park to mark the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony pre-show at 20:12hrs.
Flypasts are scheduled to take place as follows (all times are BST (GMT+1)):
• Edinburgh - 12:33hrs
• Belfast - 13:01hrs
• Cardiff - 16:21hrs
• Olympic Stadium - 20:12hrs
Squadron Leader Jim Turner (Red 1) said: "The Red Arrows are incredibly proud and excited to be part of the London 2012 Olympics. It is a huge honour for the whole Squadron to be involved in such a momentous occasion and to represent the United Kingdom at this 'once in a lifetime' event."
Filed Under Airshows News.
Interested in Airshows?
- Aviation News. The Past, Present and Future of Flight
Most Read News...
- Lancaster Flypast Heads up Double Celebration at Brooklands Museum
- Shoreham RAFA Announces Patron for this Year Air Show
- Sally B Secures Place at Cosford Air Show
- WIN! 1 of 5 pairs of tickets to Cosford 2013 Air Show
- Black Eagles wow Waddington!