With over a century of service to its credit, XV Squadron disbanded in March. Sure Andrew Thomas relates its exceptional heritage
As the RAF contracts its longserving Tornado force, the time has come to bid farewell to 15 Squadron, a unit with an incredible heritage. Referred to as XV Squadron, from the Roman numerals used on its badge, it maintained its ‘bomber’ traditions by adopting the potent swing-wing Tornado strike jet in 1983. In recent times, it carried out the role of the type’s operational conversion unit. Like most other squadrons that were established during the early part of World War One 15 Squadron Royal Flying Corps (RFC) began life in the army co-operation role. It was formed at Farnborough, Hampshire, under Major Philip Joubert de la Ferté on March 1, 1915. For the next few months it trained up with a miscellany of aircraft, but by October it was just about fully equipped with the Royal Aircraft Factory BE.2c.