AR501’S POST-SERVICE DAYS

SPITFIRE AR501

The surplus Spitfire in use with the Loughborough College of Technology during October 1947. At right is another of its instructional airframes, Grumman Martlet AL246, which is now preserved by the Fleet Air Arm Museum. PETER R. ARNOLD COLLECTION

After fifteen years at the Loughborough College of Technology — today Loughborough University — as an instructional airframe, AR501 became surplus to requirements. It and another airframe from the college, Sea Hurricane Ib Z7015, were handed over to the Shuttleworth Collection during 1961 and transported by road to Old Warden. When Gp Capt ‘Hamish’ Mahaddie set about assembling the Spitfire fleet for the making of Battle of Britain, the MkV was an obvious choice. In November 1967 it was moved to Henlow and rapidly returned to flying condition by Simpson’s Aeroservices, being registered as G-AWII to Spitfire Productions Ltd on 25 April 1968, albeit still owned by Shuttleworth.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active Key.Aero or Key Publishing subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers

3 months

Standard subscription rate £29.99 + VAT

Launch rate £15.99 + VAT

Subscribe now
Reccomended

12 months

Standard subscription rate £69.99 + VAT

Launch rate £29.99 + VAT

Subscribe now

9 months

Standard subscription rate £39.99 + VAT

Launch rate £19.99 + VAT

Subscribe now