Built for KLM but brought to Britain just in time as hostilities broke out, a trio of large, four-engined Fokker airliners served well during the war, whether as ‘flying classrooms’ or transports in the highlands and islands of Scotland
In the spring of 1935, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines took delivery of the last pre-war Fokker airliners built by NV Nederlandsche Vliegtuigenfabriek, or NVNV. Since its earliest days, the carrier had flown little other than Fokker products, but the factory had failed to come up with anything to compete with the Douglas DC-2. Added to that, Albert Plesman, the managing director of KLM, didn’t get on with NVNV owner Anthony Fokker. They argued constantly about prices and deliveries.