South Wales Aviation Museum took delivery of 1954-built English Electric Canberra TT.18 WK126 in August in a move facilitated by Gary Spoors’ GJD Services. The airframe is reported to be in good condition, although vandals have smashed the canopy and nose glass.
WK126 was built as a B.2 at Woodford in Cheshire, and initially assigned to 9 Squadron before moving on to Wittering-based 100 Squadron. It was converted to TT.18 status in 1967 by BAC at Salmesbury in Lancashire, and then transferred to the Royal Navy. It served with flight refuelling units, including stints at Tarrant Rushton and Yeovilton.
The jet was subject to various modifications and refurbishments over the years, ending its service days in storage at St Athan. From 1996 it had been resident in disassembled state at Gloucester’s Jet Age Museum, prior to its recent move. www.swam.online