City of Regeneration

Jerry McLaughlin tells FlyPast how builders of business jets were among volunteers helping restore the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force’s B-17G City of Savannah

FROM THE WORKSHOP B-17G CITY OF SAVANNAH

B-17 44-83814 in the museum’s Combat Gallery. The ‘Square H’ tail marking is a nod to Lt Ralph Kittle and his crew who, having flown 43-39049 ‘City of Savannah’ to Britain from Hunter Field in December 1944, joined the Knettishall, Suffolk-based 388th Bomb Group in another B-17. ALL PHOTOS NMMEAF UNLESS STATED

When the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force (NMMEAF) at Pooler, near Savannah, Georgia, opened to the public on May 14, 1996, its largest gallery had been designed to house a B-17 Flying Fortress – and the search was on to find one.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active Key.Aero or Key Publishing subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers

3 months

Standard subscription rate £29.99 + VAT

Launch rate £15.99 + VAT

Subscribe now
Reccomended

12 months

Standard subscription rate £69.99 + VAT

Launch rate £29.99 + VAT

Subscribe now

9 months

Standard subscription rate £39.99 + VAT

Launch rate £19.99 + VAT

Subscribe now