Heatblur Simulations has announced the DCS: F-4E Phantom II is now available in Early Access.
Recognised as one of the more versatile and capable fighter jet of its time, the F-4 Phantom was an integral part of the USAF and USN in the Vietnam War, the Arab-Israeli Conflicts as well as the Cold War, where many NATO countries, including Germany, Greece, Turkey, and the United Kingdom operated the type.
Initially designed as an interceptor and as an air-to-air fighter, it also proved to be a highly effective air-to-ground attack aircraft. It sported two General Electric J-79 turbofan engines, a powerful AN/APQ-120 radar and an AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike targeting pod. Additionally, it could carry AGM-65 Mavericks, a wide array of iron bombs as well as TV and laser-guided ordinance.
The E variant was equipped with an M61 Vulcan cannon that could be used in an air-to-ground and air-to-air role and a range of early and modern era AIM-9 Sidewinder and AIM-7 Sparrow missiles.
Heatblur Simulations’ F-4E Phantom II represents years of research and development using laser scanning and photogrammetry from real Phantoms stored at various museums. The aim is to recreate this legendary aircraft in high detail and fidelity, including an authentic flight model verified by F-4 crew. The AN/APQ-120 radar and the various onboard systems have also been recreated in detail. The module allows two players to crew aircraft in multiplayer mode or a proprietary JESTER-AI as a WSO (Weapons System Officer) in single-player mode.
- Both the DSCG and DMAS equipped -E variants are included, the DMAS version following later during the Early Access period.
- Detailed external model, built using laser scanning and photogrammetry of real F-4 Phantoms.
- New weapons, such as the AGM-45 Shrike, the AGM-12 Bullpup, the AGM-62 Walleye and the AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike targeting pod.
- Detailed and accurate 6-DOF (Degrees of Freedom) cockpit, including Heatblur FORGE elements to be added later during Early Access.
- Accurate pilot and WSO models. Later, during Early Access, a character customisation system will be added.
- External Flight Model (EFM) based on actual performance data.
- Accurate aircraft systems, including an Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) and detailed electrical, hydraulic, oil and fuel systems.
- Mass-based physics system, allowing for the simulation of moving surfaces with realistic properties according to their mass.
- A fully functional multi-crew system that allows two players to team up as a pilot and WSO.
- JESTER AI 2.0: Heatblur’s new and improved lifelike AI that acts as a WSO in single-player mode.
- Simulated crew chief for a more immersive and complete startup procedure. Later during Early Access, a new walkaround mode allows pre-flight checks of the aircraft.
- Improved effects like overwing vapour and new procedural animations.
- Accurate simulations of the AN/APQ-120 radar and ALR-46 RWR.
- A detailed simulation of the AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike targeting pod that allows the WSO to guide laser-guided munitions.
- Interactive tutorials, missions and campaigns to be released during Early Access and beyond.
The DCS: F-4E Phantom II is available on Eagle Dynamics’ website with a 25% Early Access discount for $59.99.