Air Commodore Terry Carlton told Hugh Trevor about his quick exit from Lightning T.4 XM971 in the August 2012 issue of FlyPast
Having completed flying training in 1958, Terry Carlton was posted to fly Hawker Hunters with 54 Squadron, one of the first units to operate the aircraft in the fighter ground-attack role. Initially based at RAF Odiham, Hants, the unit transferred to RAF Stradishall, Suffolk, in July 1959.
In March 1961, following his first tour, Terry settled into life down the road at RAF Wattisham, Suffolk, on 111 Squadron. The unit still had on strength a few of the ‘Black Arrows’ display team Hunter F-6s which had brought the unit such renown in the 1950s, but a new era dawned on March 30 with delivery of the first Mach 2-capable English Electric Lightning F.1A, and staff from the Lightning Conversion Unit rapidly arrived to organise ground school on the shiny new steed.