New Mariana Islands Map for DCS World
Eagle Dynamics (ED) has announced a second, free map for DCS World, the Mariana Islands.
For the new map, ED uses the latest map technologies and provide a very different combat environment in a new part of the DCS world.
The map will have the following features:
- A very large ocean area with a few islands. Ideal for carrier operations
- Islands that are situated such that airfields have natural red, blue, and contested locations
- Home to at least one modern-day USAF base
- Feasible for US, Russia, and China operations in the Pacific
- Take advantage of the Chinese Assets Pack.
Taken as a whole, there is only one natural choice: the Mariana Islands. It will initially be a 400 x 400 km map with the option to expand further in the future. Home to one of the largest USAF air bases in the region, Andersen AFB on Guam serves as an anchor of US forces in the Pacific region, but it is within reach of both Chinese and Russian Pacific forces to the north. The same island chain also served as the backdrop of the World War II battles of Guam, Saipan, and Rota, as well as the carrier vs. carrier Mariana Islands battle.
At release, the following islands will be included and modelled at an extreme level of accuracy using the latest map and graphics technologies:
- Andersen AFB.
- Weapons storage bunkers northwest of Andersen AFB.
- Ordnance Annex in south-central next to Santa Rita.
- Antenna array installation on the west coast.
- Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport.
- Abandoned Northwest Airfield in the northeast corner of the island.
- Abandoned Orote Airfield at Crote Pointe.
- US Naval station and Guam Port Authority at Apra Habor / Sumay.
- Fort Soledad and Fort Juan Muna.
- Urban areas of Talofofo, Yona, Tumon, Yigo, Maggilao, Asbeco, Dededo, Inarajan, Santa Rita, Agat, Piti, Asan, Hagatna, Barrigada, Magilao, and Adacao, Agana Heights, Asan-Maina, Chalan-Pago-Ordot, Mongmong-Toto-Maite, and Umatac.
- The University of Guam.
- Leo Palace Resort.
- Saipan International Airport.
- Port of Puerto Rico.
- Urban centers of Kagman, San Roque, Tanapag, Garapan, San Vucente, Dandan, Chalan Kiya, Susupe, Chalan Kanoa, Afetna, and Chalan Kiya.
- Golf courses at Agingan, Kagman, and along the eastern coast.
- Memorial at the east end.
- Tinian International Airport.
- The abandoned airfield at the north end of the island.
- Urban areas of San Jose / harbor and Marpo Heights.
- Antenna array along the central west coast of the island.
- Rota International Airport.
- Urban areas of Sinapalu, Songsong, and Teneto Village.
- Golf course on the northern coast of the island.
- Abandoned weapon storage area on the east end of the island.
- Farallon de Medinilla.
- Air-to-ground weapons training range.
The new, free map is expected to be released in 2020.
For the latest flight simulator news and reviews visit our Flight Simulation news section.