Highlight of a new permanent military aviation history exhibition that opened during late spring in Hangar 3 at the Bundeswehr Military History Museum (Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr) at Berlin-Gatow is a recently completed Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, one of only two examples of the type on display in Germany.
The fighter incorporates parts from several Fw 190s recovered from crash sites. The BMW 801 engine came from the Deutsches Museum in Munich, and the undercarriage and armament are original, with the fuselage and wings being new-build items from Flug Werk at Gammelsdorf in south-eastern Germany. The machine has been painted in a factory-fresh Fw 190A-8 scheme, as seen prior to delivery to a Luftwaffe unit.
The Gatow museum also has a part-restored long-nose Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 in storage. The Junkers Jumo 213-powered ‘Dora’, Werknummer 210968, was recovered from the Schweriner See in 1990. The JG 26-operated machine, coded ‘Black 8’, had force-landed in the lake on 17 April 1945.
The other 190 on show in Germany is an Fw 190A-8/N at the Luftfahrtmuseum Hannover in Laatzen, which was also completed using new-build sections from Flug Werk.