Currently resident in the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, Spitire LFIX MJ755 — known as the Greek Spitire — is being returned to the skies by The Spitire Company (Biggin Hill). We visited the workshop to examine the latest progress with Project ‘Icarus’
No 335 (Greek) Squadron was formed at Aqir, Palestine, on 10 October 1941, becoming the first of two RAF squadrons manned mainly by Greek personnel in the Middle East. Equipped with Hurricane Is, after a work-up period it moved to the Western Desert theatre in February 1942 and began flying convoy escort patrols over Mersa Matruh. Later a part of No 224 Wing, the squadron carried out ground attack sorties before returning to escort missions with very little action.