The potentially airworthy Avro Lancaster undertook the tribute at its East Kirkby, Lincolnshire home last month
Avro Lancaster B.VII NX611 Just Jane released some 40,000 poppies at East Kirkby’s Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre on October 28.
The attraction’s now traditional ‘Poppy Drop’ is a significant part of the annual Lincolnshire Poppy Appeal. Work to return NX611 to the air continues with recent efforts focusing on the wings, nose and rear fuselage.
Built by Austin Motors in Birmingham as Mk.VII, the aircraft now known as Just Jane was one of 22 Lancasters sold in April 1952 to the French Aéronautique Navale. It was later donated to the Historical Aircraft Preservation Society, and after an overhaul in Sydney, Australia, returned to the UK, arriving at Biggin Hill in May 1965. It was famously purchased by Fred and Harold Panton in September 1983, and while maintained in taxiable condition at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, it is also the subject of a return-to-fly project. With thanks to Jamie Ewan