Orbx has announced the EA-7 Edgley Optica is now available for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
The British-built aircraft is designed for low-speed, long-range observation work. It has a similar cockpit to that of helicopters and offers a 270-degree panoramic view and an almost vertical downward view. With a loiter speed of 81mph, around 40% power, the Optica's fuel tanks can allow for flying up to nearly 8 hours and a range of more than 650 miles.
Orbx has faithfully recreated the aircraft with a high level of model and texture detail, engine and cockpit sounds, fully interactive and clickable cockpit, comprehensive checklists and realistic flight model, including the Optica's ballast system.
With the panoramic views, the Optica is perfect for exploring Orbx Landmark City packs, airports and regions, especially in VR (Virtual Reality).
The pack comes with several paint schemes representative of aircraft around the world, including a unique observation skin with a front nose camera model.
- Crew: 3
- Length: 8.15 m (26 ft 9 in)
- Wingspan: 12.00 m (39 ft 4 in)
- Height: 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in)
- Wing area: 15.84 m2 (170.5 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 948 kg (2,090 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,315 kg (2,899 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 250 L (66 US gal; 55 imp gal) useful capacity
- Powerplant: 1 × Textron Lycoming IO-540-V4A5D air-cooled flat-six engine, 190 kW (260 hp)
- Propellers: 5-bladed fixed-pitch ducted fan.
- Maximum speed: 213 km/h (132 mph, 115km)
- Cruise speed: 130 km/h (81 mph, 70km) (loiter speed, 40% power)
- Stall speed: 108 km/h (67 mph, 58 km) outboard flaps up
- Never exceed speed: 259 km/h (161 mph, 140 km)
- Range: 1,056 km (656 mi, 570 nmi) at 130 km/h (81 mph; 70 km) (45-minute reserves)
- Endurance: 8 h (at loiter speed)
- Service ceiling: 4,275 m (14,026 ft)
- Rate of climb: 4.1 m/s (810 ft/min).