Orbx has announced Landmarks Melbourne City Pack for Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available.
With about a third of its current five million residents born outside of Australia, Melbourne's skyline mirrors its inhabitants' diversity, from Gold Rush and Victorian architecture to ultra-modern skyscrapers.
The city is also home to Australia's second busiest airport, Tullamarine (YMML) and its busiest seaport and it's also where the black box flight recorder was invented in 1958.
While World Update 7 Australia added photogrammetry to Melbourne and about a dozen Orbx-made POIs, this new Melbourne pack has another 200 custom-made buildings and structures, along with many other enhancements and features.
Older architectural highlights are the Royal Exhibition Center, St Patrick's Cathedral, Parliament of Victoria, and Shrine of Remembrance, while modern buildings include the Melbourne Museum, Collins Arch, Dockland towers, and the soon-to-be-completed Shangri-La and Sapphire by the Gardens twin towers.
Other highlights include animated features easily seen from the air, such as Metro trains on the viaduct between Flinders and Southern Cross stations, hot air balloons, and racehorses on Moonee Valley and Flemington Racecourse.
For helicopter pilots, the Children's Hospital, Royal Hospital, and Victoria Police Center Tower have landable helipads. In addition, there are several floating helipads along the downtown and port sections of the Yarra River.
The port areas west of downtown have received careful attention, with custom models for industrial buildings and container cranes, high-beam night lighting, and a diverse collection of ships and boats.
Outside the city centre, Orbx has added custom models of key VFR reporting points from the Melbourne Basin Visual Pilot Guide, such as Doncaster and Parkmore shopping centres, Laverton BoM tower, and Victoria Police Training Academy.
As with other Landmark titles, Orbx has made extensive enhancements to the entire area, terraforming and improving the placement of vegetation and generic buildings.
- More than 200 custom buildings and structures
- Detailed representation of the Port of Melbourne and adjacent industrial areas
- Helipads on several rooftops as well as on floating platforms along the Yarra River
- Animated Hot Air Balloons north of the CBD, visible on mornings with clear weather
- Animated CBD Metro trains on the viaduct between Flinders and Southern Cross stations
- Animated racehorses on Moonee Valley and Flemington racecourse
- Many enhancements to the city and surrounding areas: improved vegetation and building placements, marinas, tall powerline towers, etc
- Precise placement of our custom landmarks within the simulator's terrain and the city's photogrammetry coverage
- Custom night lighting based on real-world photography
- Fully compatible with World Update 7 Australia.
Landmarks Melbourne City Pack is available on OrbxDirect for AUD$17.89 (approx £10.21).