THE RAF Museum’s Spitfire FRXIV MT847 was unveiled in the newly completed Hangar Five at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona on 6 April. Formerly on display as part of the ‘Britain From Above’ photo exhibition in the Bomber Command Hall at Hendon, the 1944-built machine is on a three-year loan to Pima.
On 12 April, Spitfire Ia P9374/ G-MKIA made its final flight at Duxford with John Romain at the controls, before heading for the US. It was crated for shipping on 18 April. Excavated from a beach at Calais in September 1980, the former No 92 Squadron fighter was subsequently rebuilt for Mark One Partners, making its maiden flight at Duxford on 1 September 2011. It was sold at auction in London on 9 July 2015 for £3.1 million, the proceeds from the sale going to the RAF Benevolent Fund and the wildlife conservation charity Panthera.