Spraying C-47 back to stock

Having forsaken its bright red and black colour scheme, C-47 G-ANAF wears its original RAF serial, KP220, and was being operated over Normandy by Aero Legends.
PAUL CULSHAW

The former Air Atlantique Douglas C-47B G-ANAF flew again on 5 June, following conversion from its previous pollution control spraying configuration by Ben Cox and his Heritage Air Services team at Coventry Airport. The former RAF transport was flown from Coventry to Cherbourg on 6 June, making it the only DC-3/C-47 to undertake the Channel crossing on the D-Day anniversary date itself, and was being operated by Aero Legends from Caen-Carpiquet for para-dropping flights on 7 June, flown by Ben Cox and Jon Corley.

Originally delivered to the US Army Air Forces in June 1945 as 44-77104, this C-47 was soon transferred to the RAF as a Dakota IV, serial KP220. It spent the late 1940s operating with No 24 Squadron at Bassingbourn, coded ODA-H, before being retired in November 1950. It was acquired by BKS Aerocharter in June 1953. Sold to Hunting Aero Surveys in 1958, it went to Air Atlantique in October 1977, and was initially used on ad hoc charters until it found more permanent duties on a mail contract from the Post Office. Subsequently selected for radar trials duties, G-ANAF was fitted with a large under-fuselage radome and set to work testing radar systems developed by Racal, and latterly Thales. In recent years it had worn a bright red and black livery, and been operated by the RVL Group. The conversion from radar trials to spraying fit had been undertaken for RVL in 2014.