AIRSPEED’S ELEGANT AMBASSADOR WAS ECLIPSED BY THE SUPERB VICKERS VISCOUNT AND JUST 23 WERE BUILT. KEN ELLIS EXAMINES THE RARE AIRLINER’S KEN ELLIS TWILIGHT YEARS
Joining BEA as the ‘Earl of Leicester’ in April 1952, Ambassador G-ALZV was acquired by Autair in December 1963. One of three used by the then Luton-based airline, ‘Zulu-Victor’ is shown at its base in August 1965; it was scrapped in 1968. Behind is a Lockheed Constellation of another former Luton outfit, Britannia Airways, which was bought in 2000 and eventually rebranded as Thomsonfly.