Swedish Junkers complete again

Now complete again at Arlanda, Junkers W 34 SE-BYA has a diff erent nose profi le to the pre-war German examples, having been fi tted with a cowled Pratt & Whitney R-1340 in 1956.
JAN FORSGREN

In early June, volunteers at the Arlanda Civil Aviation Collection achieved the long-held goal of reattaching the wings of Junkers W 34 Werknummer 2835/SE-BYA to the fuselage. A development of the more famous Junkers F 13, about 2,000 W 34s were built in Germany with 20 being manufactured in Sweden. During the late 1920s and 1930s, many airlines flew W 34s. The largest operator of the type was the Luftwaffe, which used its W 34s as light transports and advanced trainers. One was shot down in 1944 by Spitfire IX MJ271, which flew again on 27 June (see page 6).

“The Junkers W 34 is the only one of its kind preserved in Europe”

This particular W 34 was built in Sweden and delivered to the Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force) in 1935, the type being designated Tp 2A in Sweden. One of three examples to serve with the Flygvapnet, it was retired from use as an aerial ambulance in 1953. Registered as SE-BYA on 16 October 1953, the W 34 initially served with Svensk Flygtjänst. In February 1956, the original uncowled Bristol Mercury VII engine was replaced with a Pratt & Whitney R-1340. Two months later, on 4 April 1956, SE-BYA was sold to Lapplandsflyg. Based at Gällivare in northern Sweden, SE-BYA usually operated on floats during the summer months and on skis during the long winters. The aircraft was then donated to the Swedish Civil Aviation Authority historical collection, being ferried from Gällivare to Arlanda on 19 September 1961. Due to a lack of storage space, the W 34 remained stored outside at Arlanda until the early 1970s.

Eventually moved inside the current exhibition hall in 1986, SE-BYA has also made occasional appearances in Swedish and Danish film productions. The latter involved transporting the aircraft to Denmark and painting it as a Luftwaffe W 34. Following the closure of Aerospace Expo in 2001, the wings of SE-BYA were removed. The Junkers is the only one of its kind preserved in Europe, although an example of its immediate predecessor, the W 33, is on display in Bremen. Other preserved specimens can be found at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Rockcliffe, Ottawa and the Columbian Air Force Museum in Bogotá, while a full-size replica, built for a film in the mid- 1980s, is on show at the RAAF Association Heritage Museum at Bull Creek in the suburbs of Perth, Western Australia.