THE TIP-DRIVE SYSTEM

A good view of both the Rotodyne’s beaver-tail, with clamshell doors, and the tip-jet installations. AEROPLANE

The Rotodyne’s tip-drive system owed its existence to Austrian helicopter pioneer Friedrich von Doblhoff, who directed a research programme instituted in 1942. On his WNF 342 machine, a conventional piston engine was used to drive a compressor to supply air mixed with fuel up through the rotor hub and out through three hollow rotor blades, to be burned in tip-mounted combustion chambers. The result was that enough thrust was generated to turn the blades and provide lift.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active Key.Aero or Key Publishing subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers

3 months

Standard subscription rate £29.99 + VAT

Launch rate £15.99 + VAT

Subscribe now
Reccomended

12 months

Standard subscription rate £69.99 + VAT

Launch rate £29.99 + VAT

Subscribe now

9 months

Standard subscription rate £39.99 + VAT

Launch rate £19.99 + VAT

Subscribe now