In November 1940, the Manchester officially entered service with the newly reformed No. 207 Squadron of RAF Bomber Command. Reformed on November 1, the Manchester first flew with the squadron just five days later
On November 6, 1940, No. 207 became the first squadron to receive the Avro 679 Manchester, following extensive trials at Boscombe Down’s Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE), and the Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) at Farnborough. Just five days earlier, the squadron - tasked with introducing this ill-fated type into Royal Air Force service - had reformed at RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire, as part of Bomber Command’s No. 5 Group.