Welsh Warriors

Tom Eeles remembers his time on Hunters of the Tactical Weapons Unit

HAWKER HUNTER

A fine study of a 79 Squadron aircraft over the Welsh coast.

Perched on the top of cliffs overlooking St Bride’s Bay, east of St David’s in South West Wales, Brawdy was built in World War Two as a Coastal Command base. In 1952 it was reborn as HMS Goldcrest and used by the Fleet Air Arm as an advanced training school for fighter pilots and it was the shore base for the Fairey Gannet airborne early warning force.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active Key.Aero or Key Publishing subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers

3 months

Standard subscription rate £29.99 + VAT

Launch rate £15.99 + VAT

Subscribe now
Reccomended

12 months

Standard subscription rate £69.99 + VAT

Launch rate £29.99 + VAT

Subscribe now

9 months

Standard subscription rate £39.99 + VAT

Launch rate £19.99 + VAT

Subscribe now