Growing up on the edge of Wymeswold, Richard Knight has always been fascinated with the airfield. He relates its days as a home to Auxiliary Meteors
This was a brief respite, as in August 1948 a small group of RAF officers from 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) visited to assess the facilities. In response to continuing world political instability, the auxiliary units had been reactivated: 504 was re-formed in June 1946 (the following year, what had once been the Auxiliary Air Force was then honoured with the prefix ‘Royal’.) The squadron badge was an oak tree and the Latin motto was ‘Vindicat in ventis’ which translates as ‘Vengeance in the wind’. Attempts to pronounce Vindicat came out as ‘Windycat’ and this stuck, so 504 Squadron thus adopted a pluralised version, Windycats, as its nickname.