LBA facilities

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Does anyone have any info on the facilities at Leeds Bradford? I am due to fly from there in September and have never used the airport before.

Is there anywhere to get a decent snack or a drink? And what is the viewing from the departure lounge like, as I always like to get some photos and video of the aircraft.

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Does anyone have any info on the facilities at Leeds Bradford?

Yes! :)

There are actually quite a few facilities for such a small airport. Upstairs landside used to have a food court but this has been closed in preparation for renovations. Burger King is still open and there's a Yates's up there as well. Downstairs there's a Cafe Ritazza and WH Smiths. Airside there are two bars, a larger one downstairs where you can buy a hot meal and another upstairs that sells light snacks (paninis, etc). There's also a food court-type place downstairs where you can get full meals, although it isn't particularly cheap! There's also WH Smiths for various other snacks, books, magazines, etc.

The viewing is actually quite good as almost the entire front of the departure lounge is windows, although it's not really too good for photos because there are a lot of things in the way. When you arrive in the departure lounge and walk through duty free, if you keep going straight on there's a good spot to observe movements down there (I think it's gate 5 but LBARULES will be able to correct me). How long are you at the airport for? The best thing to do for photos would be to just take a short walk from the terminal round to what we call "the bench" (rather unimaginative really as it is simply a bench). 32 is the more commonly used runway at LBA and from the bench you have superb views of arriving and departing aircraft. It's only about a 10 minute walk from the terminal, so if you're there for an hour or two that would be the best thing to do. Let me know if you want to head round there and I'll draw a little map to there and the other spot if you have a little more time.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks PMN. Paninis sound good, we are flying out at dinnertime so won't have much time for a big meal so that would be just perfect, and I don't want to tackle BMI's inflight sandwiches so airport food is a must :D

As for how long we will have at the airport, we will probably get there at around 10 in the morning for our 12:25 flight, but maybe earlier if we manage to get an earlier bus from Leeds city centre.

If the weather is good we may get a trip out to the airport the day before we fly, as we are overnighting in Leeds to avoid having to rush on the day of our flight! That's what we've done when we've flown from other airports such as MAN and LCY.