Here we go again!! Ash closures Part II (Merged)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

Ireland Flight Ban Warning Over Ash Cloud

Flights to and from Ireland may be cancelled tomorrow as volcanic ash from Iceland drifts across the country.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has told Irish-based airlines it is concerned that airports in Ireland may be impacted by the drift south of the cloud.

It said current information from the Volcanic Ash Advice Centre (VAAC) suggest a no-fly zone may have to be imposed affecting Dublin, Shannon and some regional airports.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Volcano-Ash-Ireland-Flights-May-Be-Cancelled-Due-To-Ash-Cloud-Drifting-Into-Irish-Airspace/Article/201005115624505?f=rss

IAA may be forced to restrict flights over Irish airspace

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has informed Irish-based airlines that it is concerned that Irish Airports may be impacted by the drift south of the volcanic ash cloud caused by the north easterly winds. Read more @ http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=883

Let hope its not a repeat............

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

Got me a little worried this, Ive got a Ryanair flight out of LBA tomorrow afternoon and dont know if the aircraft is coming in from Ireland.
Cant believe this, Ive not flown in five years, not been on an airliner for nearly ten !
I think I will have to give them a call but does anybody know where the aircraft that is flying the (15.05 04/05/10) Leeds Bradford - Ibiza route is at the moment ?

Cheers

Ben

Member for

17 years 5 months

updatre:-

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=884

Current information from the Volcanic Ash Advice Centre (VAAC) suggests that a ‘no fly zone' will have to be imposed over Ireland tomorrow that will affect Dublin, Shannon Galway, Sligo, Ireland West (knock), Donegal, Cork and Kerry. No flights will operate in or out of these airports until at least 1300hrs local tomorrow.

Over-flights of Ireland from the UK and Europe will NOT be impacted tomorrow. Flights in mainland Europe will operate normally.

I think I will have to give them a call but does anybody know where the aircraft that is flying the (15.05 04/05/10) Leeds Bradford - Ibiza route is at the moment ?

Cheers

Ben

I will see if i can find out.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Cheers Rick.
I will hold off telling the GF, untill I know whats going on.

Ben

Member for

20 years 10 months

Got me a little worried this, Ive got a Ryanair flight out of LBA tomorrow afternoon and dont know if the aircraft is coming in from Ireland.
Cant believe this, Ive not flown in five years, not been on an airliner for nearly ten !

Cheers

Ben

The Ibiza a/c will be the DUB a/c from the morning, then it goes to Venice Treviso before doing the Ibiza so good luck!

Currently it will be either on its way back from AGP or MJV.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Thank you, I think.

No realy cheers for the information. I am going to give them a ring now.

Ben

Member for

17 years 5 months

Cheers Rick.
I will hold off telling the GF, untill I know whats going on.

Ben

My Guess........ this could/may be your aircraft...

Venice Treviso - Leeds..

Tue, 4 May 10
Flight FR 2485
13:00 Depart
14:20 Arrive LBA

Then 40 mins ground time before you leave....

EDIT -- LBARULES - wish i had seen your post 10 mins ago! -- Ben, as its leaving Dublin in the morning, expect some possible issues... you may be in luck with a AC switch but that is anyones guess at this stage.

Rick

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thank you, I think.

No realy cheers for the information. I am going to give them a ring now.

Ben

All Aer Lingus/Aer Arann flights cancelled out of DUB in the morning, so if your a/c never even leaves LBA (which looks likely) you should be fine!

Member for

14 years 1 month

According to the latest advisory graphics, the western half of the UK and Ireland will be out by noon tomorrow (4th)...
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1272908173.png

Member for

17 years 5 months

So LPL could be affected then....

Even MAN could be depending how it all pans out...

Member for

15 years 1 month

wondered how Northern Ireland was ok when Donegal et all was closing ..just seen that they are closing down from 07.00 tomorrow with Western Hebrides & parts of Scotland gone already ?

Member for

15 years 2 months

Hmm! Looks like its slowly rolling accross manchester and heading towards London tomorrow according to the most recent update.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Hmm! Looks like its slowly rolling across Manchester and heading towards London tomorrow according to the most recent update.

Sure does not look good for MAN, Glasgow, Bristol, by midnight tonight........That outer edge looks very close to MAN, will be interesting to see the next update..

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1272949726.png

Member for

14 years 1 month

Here we go again. In view of what happened lasst time I am fascinated to see how this unfolds.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Haven't we been here before?

Haven't we realised that modern jet engines can battle through ash clouds in low densities and that all ash clouds coming from Iceland are low density by the time they reach the UK?

Was it not decided to continue flying regardless?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't like the look of this ... I'm scheduled to cross the atlantic on monday, from BRU..

Member for

16 years 11 months

I dont really know what the official take on it was? One minute the skys were empty, some guys in suits had a chat then a wave of planes appeared over LHR.

My guess is that aircraft movements will be less affected this time around based on better knowledge of the situation.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Haven't we been here before?

Haven't we realised that modern jet engines can battle through ash clouds in low densities and that all ash clouds coming from Iceland are low density by the time they reach the UK?

yes but were higher levels od ash not set for safe flying and these new clouds exceed the new higher levels.

If its not safe to fly them you dont fly , you dont change the ruls just to make it safe.
The new levels were set by the egine maker's and the airlines I think.

Member for

24 years 2 months

All flights in and out of Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic will resume at 1300 BST after being grounded owing to a fresh volcanic ash threat.

Airspace over Scotland's Outer Hebrides will reopen at the same time after closures to Tiree, Barra and Benbecula airports plus Campbeltown in Argyll.

Services to and from Northern Ireland and the Republic were cancelled from 0700 BST by aviation authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8658738.stm

Member for

18 years 7 months

Haven't we realised that modern jet engines can battle through ash clouds in low densities

So since when have you had enough knowledge about aircraft engines to say that?

Yes, you're right. We have been here before. :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 5 months

I'm glad that I'm not making the decission either way.

Rgds Cking