Airband aerials

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 11 months

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I find the Forum Users to be a Knowlagable lot. You can buy multi element aerials for scanners like the discone type for instance. But can anyone tell me in theory or practice what would happen in the following proposed set up. I propose to join 4 aerials into one coax via a series of bnc connectors. A Watson w-881 high gainer, a standard high gain telescopic, a ruber duck that gives good performance on vhf airband, and a rubber duck that is optimised towards uhf. I will make minimal use of connectors to reduce signal loss, and the aerials will be mounted on a large steel plate in the loft along with my UHF mag mount.

Original post

Member for

14 years 9 months

On my Ham radio set i have a device that splits from vhf to uhf, you screw both antennas into it and it switches over when you use which ever band.

Why not just use a discone?

I use a ham band vhf antenna for listening to the air band it works perfect even though it's designed for 144mhz the air band stops at 137, i also use it to listen at 220mhz military it works there too.

Just another thing for best results get this antenna outside on a pole off the chimney, Or the wall the range you will receive will be further it's line of sight.