Ice block from aircraft smashes into home

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi,

Just found this on the BBC website:

A huge block of ice believed to have fallen from an aircraft crashed through the roof of a property in West Sussex as the homeowners slept.

link here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-10727594

I would have thought the aircraft would have been flying into / over the UK as the weather here has been quite mild

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

I remember as a kid when I lived in the country finding a block of ice embedded in the garden one evening. Now I was quite young so can't remember exactly, but it was easily about a 12 inch cube at the least!

Member for

18 years 4 months

Happened to my car 4 years ago (It has aircraft flying over it all day being near Heathrow) and it cost me a new windscreen :( A chap standing nearby who saw it happen said that he couldn't work out where all the ice scattered around my car came from as he had initially thought something solid had hit it by the sound of the bang. He had never heard of aircraft dropping ice before.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Wasn't there a film about this called Blue Ice?

Member for

16 years

Doesn't the ice come from an aircraft's toilet system?
If so, not an altogether pleasant thought for a number of reasons.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Wasn't there a film about this called Blue Ice?

Wasn't Elizabeth Taylor in it?

Rgds Cking

From Wiki :

Blue Ice is a 1992 film directed by Russell Mulcahy and stars Michael Caine and Sean Young.

Blue ice is formed when the toilet chemicals leak out (usually due to a fault or leak) of the reservoir of an airliner during flight and freeze on the fuselage. The lump can detach when the plane encounters warmer air whilst descending.