Etihad eyes Virgin Atlantic!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

As per TravelMole.com

Etihad eyes Virgin Atlantic

Middle Eastern airline Etihad has made it known it is interested in acquiring a large chunk of Virgin Atlantic, it was revealed this weekend.

Sir Richard Branson appointed Deutsche Bank last year to carry out a strategic review of his airline’s future and consider alliances with other airlines.

And Etihad, which is backed by the Abu Dhabi royal family, has revealed that it has approached the bank via a letter from its chief executive James Hogan.

Branson has suggested that he may wish to sell his 51% stake in Virgin Atlantic should the right bidder come along.

Neither Etihad nor Virgin Atlantic would comment on the news, the former saying only that it regularly spoke with other airlines about future business opportunities.

by Dinah Hatch

Source: http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1146079.php?mpnlog=1&m_id=_rnms~s~T_

Could be interesting...

If EY was to buyout VS, I assume they would look to keep the "Virgin" brand going, right?

Seriously seems as though SRB is considering all his options...just when I was hoping that he might consider getting VS to join Star Alliance and then ask to buy BD from LH and turn it into a Virgin domestic airline; would certainly help them to keep the pressure up on BA @ LHR as they would be able to accept even more "transit" passengers that choose to fly down from ABZ/BHD/EDI/GLA/MAN?!

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

If EY was to buyout VS, I assume they would look to keep the "Virgin" brand going, right?

That would be logical, but not guaranteed.
Look at TWA. Bought by AA with the understanding that TWA would remain TWA. But 4 years later, TWA was no more.

Etihad could well buy VS, close it down and user their slots at LHR to establish a base.
It depends on what Etihad management want, money or expansion. I suspect the latter.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If this is true, it would be sad because I am pretty certain EY would close VS as a brand.

Member for

13 years 3 months

On the other hand, what if they combine the brands. I mean, who wouldn't want to fly on Virgins United? :p

Yeah, ok, I'll shut the door on the way out...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Don't forget your coat

Member for

15 years 9 months

Did I blink and miss something - AirAsia back to learning to fly then I guess!!

Did I blink and miss something - AirAsia back to learning to fly then I guess rather than making a bid for VA?
After the recent thread showing the mess made of a slogan (Anyone Can Fly) carrying AirAsia aircraft dug deep in the runway/taxiway peripheries; maybe they had sensible second thoughts.:D

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106082

Good thing too that they came down to earth !!!:rolleyes:

The Virgin Atlantic routes are the attraction - Branson being the only one holding the decision for the majority stake 51% or is Etihad interested in the Singapore Airlines stake (minority =<49%)?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Did I blink and miss something - AirAsia back to learning to fly then I guess rather than making a bid for VA?

You do know that Air Asia and Etihad are different airlines, don't you?

Member for

15 years 9 months

GA - Yes of course that was why the tongue in cheek comment about my blinking

Hi GA

Yes of course that was the reason for the tongue in cheek comment about my blinking. :D

As in that time AirAsia stopped showing interest and Etihad replaced them as interested parties in V. Atlantic.;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

What do V Australia (VA) have to do with this? ;)

Member for

13 years 3 months

Don't forget your coat

Coat was duly picked up on the way out! :)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Clarifier put in to my post

What do V Australia (VA) have to do with this? ;)

Hi Bmused55
Clarifier put in to my post.;)
Jay

Member for

20 years 5 months

he he, I was just kidding you on. We all know what you meant. ;)

Member for

15 years 9 months

They may consider having 'Eunuchs' as stewards !!!!

........who wouldn't want to fly on Virgins United.......?

Hi ChrisGlobe
They may consider having 'Eunuchs' as stewards - then everything will be boringly ship shape and 'bristol' fashion.:rolleyes:

Member for

15 years 9 months

No worries - I knew you were ....

he he, I was just kidding you on. We all know what you meant. ;)

Hi Bmused55
No worries (Aussie coming out there, heaven forbid, what's happening to my Queen's English they taught me, the SNPs got it I guess).. I knew you were.:D

Member for

18 years 6 months

The Virgin Atlantic routes are the attraction - Branson being the only one holding the decision for the majority stake 51% or is Etihad interested in the SA stake (minority =<49%)?

I think you meant to say SQ, as in Singapore Airlines, not South African Airways...;)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Yeah pull all my legs - no retract that not the 3rd one....

I think you meant to say SQ, as in Singapore Airlines, not South African Airways...;)

Hi Cloud9
Yeah pull all my legs - no retract that not the 3rd one - too painful:D
Clarifier inserted in to my previous post.;)
Jay

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hi Bmused55
No worries (Aussie coming out there, heaven forbid, what's happening to my Queen's English they taught me, the SNPs got it I guess).. I knew you were.:D

You'll love this then... had me laughing for ages: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=010_1295904756

Member for

15 years 9 months

Ahem nearly Emu burgers or a nearly badly damaged aircraft

You'll love this then... had me laughing for ages: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=010_1295904756

Hi Bmused55
Ahem nearly committed to Emu burgers for a long time or a nearly badly damaged aircraft.:D
My uncle (dad's first cousin) a UK qualified doctor flew himself from surgery to surgery out in remote parts of Oz.
I must ask him how many similar near misses he had.
He must have some good tales of kangaroos, ostriches and emus to tell, leaving aside any 'Crocodile Dundee' tales.;)
Thks for the vid.

Member for

18 years 6 months

AF-KL & DL may bid for VS as well...

Seems as though the interest in VS is hotting up as I've read two articles in the last few days, both stating that Air France-KLM may look to combine with Delta in order to produce a bid to compete with Etihad's interest in the carrier...which, if successful, might result in them [Virgin] joining the SkyTeam Alliance?

Personally, I've always thought that it would be better suited to join the Star Alliance, which would figure given that Singapore Airlines is already a member of Star and owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic...or perhaps, if the Etihad bid was successful, they could look to form a new alliance group which will help VS to compete more with the likes of BA and its IAG partners.

Either way though, it looks distinctly possible that VS will not remain as an independant carrier; anyone else have an opinion as to what they think might (or hope!) will happen.