"Blackmailing" Ryanair gets it's subsidies scrapped.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Boo hoo, my heart bleeds.

http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/french-news/french-city-scraps-subsidies-to-blackmailing--ryanair_130517.html

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

This is how Ryanair operates. You pay them to fly to your airport.
Cessation of such subsidies is normaly the reason FR pack up and leave without a moments notice.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Nice to see an airport telling them to Foxtrot Oscar for a change and not give in to their every demands. Good on them.

Member for

16 years 4 months

I notice everyone on AW has studiously avoided mentioning the fact that the "we will not prostitute ourselves" team at MAN is back on the street corner with the other toms,having got FR back but pretending it's a different situation if they use T2 at off peak times!!
I predict the demise of Pau as a viable airport if the likes of Flybe stick with them as long as they stuck with BOH etc.Like it or not,most airports the size of Pau have failed to attract any other operator following a FR pull-out.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Cessation of such subsidies is normaly the reason FR pack up and leave without a moments notice.

Also confirmed today, Ryanair announced that they are to pull x5 aircraft from its base in "Barcelona" (oh, wait its...Girona!:diablo:) because the new regional government has chosen not to honour an agreement signed between the airline and the previous government. This move will result in the loss of 18 routes, and a reduction in services to a further 17 destinations. See below for a full list:

http://www.anna.aero/2011/02/16/ryanair-pulls-five-aircraft-from-girona-as-government-deal-falls-through/

Member for

19 years 11 months

I notice everyone on AW has studiously avoided mentioning the fact that the "we will not prostitute ourselves" team at MAN is back on the street corner with the other toms,having got FR back but pretending it's a different situation if they use T2 at off peak times!!

Well, that's certainly one point of view. :cool:

All I see is a business exploring an opportunity to make money, but I appreciate that may not be dramatic or confrontational enough for some people's taste.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Grey Area

When one considers that the thread when MAN told FR to "Foxtrot Oscar" some months ago could reasonably be seen as immense,it's stretching my imagination to believe none of the posters know about the reversal,yet not a "dickie bird" of a comment.
Indeed,we have a mod posting about the latest FR threat but failing even to comment about the negative effect it had on a major UK airport when they tried to call the bluff.
I try to err towards the mildly ironic rather than confrontational,but it IS a bit one sided,eh?

Member for

24 years 2 months

All I see is a business exploring an opportunity to make money, but I appreciate that may not be dramatic or confrontational enough for some people's taste.

I agree.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think that the authority responsible for operating Pau airport is to be commended in bringing this Ryanair subsidy to an end. As in the other places that RYR has vacated, due to its dubious business practices that have been thwarted by the courts, and its endless hunger for subsidies to sustain its unrealistic fares structure, other carriers are more than happy to step in to take up the potential business that RYR has so petulantly turned its back on. As to speculation on the future of Pau, I think its a little premature to speculate on its future 'collapse' as a viable entity simply because one so called low cost carrier decides to walk away when 'the sun goes in', and they don't want to play anymore.

I am not a great fan of the 'free' market system, and I never have been. Now as I have always understood it, a company involved in running a business rises and falls as the result of offering a product or service that generates sufficient revenue to sustain itself and those employed by it. This is done in the face of competition from other companies offering the same or similar things. If these companies are not fit to compete, then they fold. Why should these 'low cost' airlines be exempt from this premise?, or the banks come to that....no, better not go there! Mr O'Leary, like a good many others who trumpet so loudly their love of a 'free and unregulated' business arena, are in no way adverse to coercing state bodies to provide them with the means to carry on and to expand their 'businesses'. But in turn, they are very quick to turn round and bite the hand that feeds them those subsidies, when they don't like the terms or changes in the terms, relating to these handouts. So lets see these 'low cost', and any other airline come to that, trade solely on the basic premise of charging a realistic, but at the same time, competitive price for the services they supply, without relying on public money to make their business viable. I'm sure that any 'free market' enthusiast would agree with me......or would they:diablo:

Member for

16 years 4 months

Interflug IL62m

No problem with the action of Pau and to be fair I looked later at their movements....about 9 a day to Paris (both apts) and LYS,so probably could be sustained on those alone.However,from 15-19 Feb inclusive their only international dep is FR to STN.Frankly,I think it's wishful thinking some other foreign carrier will set up a range of routes without a similar inducement,but we will see.
Whilst not exactly applauding their stand,as I simply don't share the hatred of Ryanair,I fully support their right to make it.
I DO NOT agree with your assertion other places have lost FR and gained newcomers........Friedrichshafen,Brescia,Newquay,Stockholm Vasteras are examples where nothing has ever replaced lost FR routes,and there are many others.
Dusseldorf Weeze,Lubeck,Girona.Beauvais as examples have no more than 2 non-FR flights
What would happen to local jobs if they lost the only outfit with the scale of size required?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Indeed,we have a mod posting about the latest FR threat but failing even to comment about the negative effect it had on a major UK airport when they tried to call the bluff.

To be fair there are no requirements for mods to present what some may perceive to be balanced viewpoints of arguments. They're free to express their opinions just as we all are.

By the way (sorry for the totally off-topic comment), my sincere apologies for not getting back to you about the Russia photos, Barry. There are some very interesting images in there, I'm grateful for you sending them up. Very much appreciated. :)

On the subject of Ryanair, I don't think it's a bad thing at all that airports and their relevant authorities are starting to tell Ryanair where to go (or rather telling them where they can't go in this case). If they want to use such questionable business tactics then they have to be prepared for people to not go along with them at times.

Member for

19 years 8 months

As far as Manchester is concerned, I see it as more a climbdown by Scumbag O'Riley (who threw his toys out of his pram when he couldn't get his way) than MAN - sure, old Scumbag has got a deal but it isn't as good as the one he wanted when he got all bent out of shape with MAN before.

As far as Pau and Girona are concerned - well done for standing up to the Irish thugs. Your airports end up being better places without FR.

Andy

Member for

16 years 4 months

So I don't get misunderstood,I think there's a fair chance some of FR's charges will be banned by law in the not too distant future,in the UK at least,and I,for one will be cheering from the sidelines,as a punter.
I'd support (actively possibly!) any passenger group or consumer body acting against some of their practices,but I've hardly made it a secret that I think airport authorities are as least as disreputable (a view echoed by a majority of travellers in a recent survey) and,as for airlines,Flybe have only a week or so ago been singled out by the OFT as having card charges as monstrous as FR,or within 5%.
Andy,I think in fact that the problem at Girona is that the local authority have reneged on a done deal if the anna.aero piece is accurate.As the same article says 95% of passengers are on FR I'd say they're pushing their luck!
Paul,thanks for comments on pics

B

Member for

24 years 2 months

Interflug IL62m

No problem with the action of Pau and to be fair I looked later at their movements....about 9 a day to Paris (both apts) and LYS,so probably could be sustained on those alone.However,from 15-19 Feb inclusive their only international dep is FR to STN.Frankly,I think it's wishful thinking some other foreign carrier will set up a range of routes without a similar inducement,but we will see.
Whilst not exactly applauding their stand,as I simply don't share the hatred of Ryanair,I fully support their right to make it.
I DO NOT agree with your assertion other places have lost FR and gained newcomers........Friedrichshafen,Brescia,Newquay,Stockholm Vasteras are examples where nothing has ever replaced lost FR routes,and there are many others.
Dusseldorf Weeze,Lubeck,Girona.Beauvais as examples have no more than 2 non-FR flights
What would happen to local jobs if they lost the only outfit with the scale of size required?

I have no problem with Ryanair trying to make a go of their business, but I do when their self proclaimed successes have, in most cases, been accomplished on the backs of those damn subsidies, exemptions from this and that, lousy pay and conditions etc.

As for RYR being replaced at certain locations, there have recently been other carriers launching replacement services, for example in Belfast and East Midlands. I believe that other carriers took over certain RYR routes out of MAN and LBA, but I'm quite ready to be corrected on that. As to the provision of jobs at the locations you mention, doesn't it follow, going back to my previous post, that the operations were deemed not commercially viable and hence had to fold? Cruel though it is, isn't that how the economic system that I despise so much, the one that is so loudly espoused by MoL and other 'free market Stalinists (when it suits) is supposed to work? In short, why don't RYR and other companies like them, that claim to be shining examples of deregulated private enterprise, have the bloody guts to admit publicly when when they go cap in hand to the dreaded state, wherever that state may be, to make their operations viable.