AA flight diverts to LHR

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

Anyone any ideas what went on here?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-13019482
My guess is just a gear door that wouldn't close.

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Wales online has the answer! ;)

An American Airlines statement said: "Our flight 121 from Paris to New York will be landing at Heathrow for small mechanical repair to a cockpit instrument. It is circling to burn-off fuel so that it will not be overweight when it lands at Heathrow. There is no poroblem with the landing gear."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2011/04/08/american-airlines-aircraft-spotted-circling-south-wales-91466-28487141/#ixzz1Iy6Revvv

Member for

19 years 5 months

"But a spokeswoman dismissed fears of a forward undercarriage malfunction by saying it would have been deliberately deployed to increase drag while the aircraft used up fuel before it landed in London"

Later another spokesman said that the previous spokeswoman was talking B******s as you cannot deploy the gear in parts, it's either all up or all down!

Rgds Cking

Member for

20 years 5 months

I thought the 757 was able to land at MTOW?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Many aircraft can drop part of the gear as a speed brake, but I've only known it as the mains only, not the nose only

Member for

14 years

I thought the 757 was able to land at MTOW?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. :diablo:

Many aircraft can drop part of the gear as a speed brake, but I've only known it as the mains only, not the nose only

As CKing says - the B757 - "cannot deploy the gear in parts, it's either all up or all down!", well by the flight crew. :)

Member for

18 years 6 months

Also, the 757 does not have the capability to "dump" fuel like other aircraft, hence why it was "circling to burn-off fuel so that it will not be overweight when it lands at Heathrow".;)