Instances of crew abandoning an airliner in flight?

Member for

10 years 1 month

Hi, there was a very interesting program on TV last night about an airliner which was abandoned in flight by the crew and then, radio controlled in a simulated crash landing. It was done to test passenger survivability, improve safety. I was wondering if this was the first time an airliner has been abandoned in flight and if there are any other occurancies? ATB, Hampy.
Original post
Profile picture for user Matt-100

Member for

7 years 2 months

The only one I can think of is when NASA did the same experiment in the '80s, except their's was a failure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7lBeaceQKg It's certainly not common practice, I don't know about you but I've never seen my captain stepping on-board clasping a parachute? :D

Member for

13 years 11 months

The only one I can think of is when NASA did the same experiment in the '80s, except their's was a failure. :D
Ah no, NASA's Boeing 720 was flown remotely at take off and throughout all of its 9 minute flight. First prototypes for airliners normally have an emergency egress route leading to parachute hatch for when they do the high risk flying.
Profile picture for user Stuart H

Member for

9 years 6 months

I watched the documentary too. I couldn't help wondering why they had so much trouble with the radio control system. I thought drone technology had been used for decades without needing a chase plane nearby - especially during missile tests, so it seemed like they were re-inventing the wheel?

Member for

10 years 2 months

i think it was the budget restrictions that limited the remote control but what they managed was fantastic

Member for

9 years 7 months

It would have cost "peanuts" to fit an external antenna. This reminded me very much of the experiments they did during the war, in trying to blow up the U-Boat pens. When Joseph Kennedy Jnr was killed during Operation Aphrodite.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Wasn't a Fokker-VFW 614 abandoned in flight by a crew during a test flight that went wrong? Must have been early 70s and I'm not too sure of the exact type/designation/ manufacturer. Cheers.