More 787 issues

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 9 months

how does it maintain its schedules?

It doesn't. ANA has had to cancel numerous flights.

I know QTR 075 is now operated by an A332, I assume United has replaced their services with 767s?

Member for

16 years

I seem to remember that the 1979 DC-10 groundings hit Air New Zealand very hard, because the aircraft was the sole long-haul type they had in those days, with the early B747s (300s, I think) still some years away.

Member for

15 years 9 months

The grounding is a sound process in 2013 in comparison to previous eras

The grounding is a sound process in 2013 in comparison to previous eras

Harsh though my words sound it is in Boeing's commercial favour that these 'Gremlins' showed up.

The Yuasa batteries are reported supposedly used in other modern airliners but they may have been off earlier manufacturing lines or simply aren't in similar temperature and humidity conditions as the 787.

We are deep in one of the longest economic recessions in my lifetime and although big giants like Boeing try their best to manage quality of their supplier's products it is a simple trade off equation - "Can you spend the resources (men, equipment, time) in checking each product after the supplier delivers?". NO is the simple answer.
The supply chain for these batteries is probably as long as one desires to imagine and it just takes one supplier in this chain to cut a small corner (save a small amount) and the entire quality issue is wide open.

Let's wait and the result will I am sure be a better and more robust 787 and all customers will benefit from these early warnings.

It just shows that the world has advanced and takes airline safety very seriously as this did not happen in previous eras which resulted in fatalities.

After all is it just Boeing going through serious suppliers woes? Look at Toyota to name just one?

Maybe it is Yuasa - Yuar.ea:D

Member for

11 years 2 months

This too shall pass.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Certainly is bad news. I'm sure this will eventually get sorted, but in the meantime, it must be playing havoc with the publics perception of the aircraft. I wonder how much of an effect there will be on further delivery dates. Qatar, and the other new operators, must be 'thrilled'

Member for

17 years 6 months

I have yet to see any hard evidence linking these problems with outsourcing.

Par example, who built the battery and charging system on the 777? I'll guess that it wasn't Boeing. Also, we know that signficant structural portions of that airplane were sub-contracted.

The Boeing unions seem to have done a marvelous job in convincing a lot of people that there is a link between outsourcing and these latest problems. Hats off to their PR effort, but perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on the factory floor instead of in the press.....after all, if only they wouldn't go on strike so frequently, there wouldn't be that pesky new factory in Charleston.

As for the public, they will fly on the flight with the cheapest fares.

Member for

24 years 3 months

As for the public, they will fly on the flight with the cheapest fares.

I'm sure that there will be those within Boeing, hoping that you're right.

Member for

20 years

Some people will bring politics into anything. :rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 6 months

Only speculating on the reason why so many seem to be talking about outsourcing in relation to these incidents.

I can see how the outsourcing may have caused the 3-4 year delay, but not the latest problems.

Member for

14 years

A bit of good news, ruling out the battery. However, it does mean they haven't found the real cause.

It would be good if it turned out to be a software bug like the Ariane rocket. Pure wild speculation on my part.

Member for

14 years

It'll never get off the ground! :D

Member for

11 years 4 months

since we're on the topic,
why didn't Airbus choose the same engine as the 787 for their new craft

Member for

11 years 9 months

I expect Boeing sought exclusivity from GE and RR? Plus I believe there are several Boeing patents regarding the cowling?

Member for

11 years 4 months

is the serrated engine exhaust panel on the 787 and 737NG a Boeing patent?