How to work in an Airport Ramp in the UK?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hello

First of all, I’d like to apologize if this is not the right board to post that, but I couldn’t find any other place to do so.

Well, as the title says, I would like to know how could I work in an airport ramp in the UK, no matter what kind of job it is. I am an EU citizen who has been living in the country for about 2 months and, despite already having a job, I would really enjoy working in an airport.

So I was wondering if any of you works in an airport ramp in the UK and, if so, I would like to know how could I get that job. I've contacted all the addresses of Menzies Aviation, but all of those who had answered me told me that they weren't hiring at the moment.

I also have registered in Airport Placements and phoned them, but still no answer. At some other sites, like Swissport one, it's said that there are no vacancies right now.

So I'd like to know if you know any agency, website, or anywhere I could go to apply for these kind of jobs, no matter where in the UK. In fact, I would really appreciate any kind of help you could give me.

Thank you very much guys.

Original post

Member for

11 years 8 months

My best advice would be to keep up what you're doing at the moment :)

Keep checking the job sites for vacancies. Like most jobs, there's probably an employment cycle. At the moment we're probably in the off cycle.

My guess is things will pick up in the spring when UK airports will be gearing up for the summer. Good luck :D

Member for

11 years 2 months

Thank you Matt!

The problem is I don't have experience in this field, so I guess it would be even more difficult to find a job... But I'll try anyway, of course! :D

Member for

14 years

If you haven't already done it, it may be a good idea to ask what sort of experience they look for in somebody they take on.

I would imagine you would be expected to do jobs requiring some expertise ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Serj, Please check your PM box.

Member for

11 years 2 months

If you haven't already done it, it may be a good idea to ask what sort of experience they look for in somebody they take on.

I would imagine you would be expected to do jobs requiring some expertise ?

I've already checked it out, but thanks anyway :)

Serj, Please check your PM box.

Thanks!

Member for

12 years 10 months

Airport Employment

Hi Serj, Some airports have mini job fairs usually at hotels in their locality around about Feb/Mar time, my advice would be to check with your local medium size airport for these events. They recruit for the summer period taking on loaders, ramp agents, baggage hall staff, to name but a few, if you are lucky the companies will take on the good personnel from the not so good to continue on from the that summer period, but be warned, this is not always the case. I wish you luck in your pursuit in the coming months,:) best regards,

Gerry R

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi Serj, Some airports have mini job fairs usually at hotels in their locality around about Feb/Mar time, my advice would be to check with your local medium size airport for these events. They recruit for the summer period taking on loaders, ramp agents, baggage hall staff, to name but a few, if you are lucky the companies will take on the good personnel from the not so good to continue on from the that summer period, but be warned, this is not always the case. I wish you luck in your pursuit in the coming months,:) best regards,

Gerry R

I didn't know that, thank you for the lead!

Member for

11 years 2 months

Sorry for keeping posting, but one has to follow his dreams. :D

I have applied to some jobs in the Manchester Airport (I am currently living there right now) through the agency Premier Work Support, does anyone have any reference on them?

I am thinking on going personally to their branch and ask directly about the job, but in some of their offers they make pretty clear that they only accept online applications, so I don't know if that may be counterproductive. What do you think?

Member for

14 years

I am thinking on going personally to their branch and ask directly about the job, but in some of their offers they make pretty clear that they only accept online applications, so I don't know if that may be counter productive. What do you think?

It doesn't hurt to find out what the job entails, and what the minimum qualifications might be. Just to make sure you aren't wasting your time.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Might be worth asking around at smaller airfields too. Sometimes smaller airfields recruit internally but it doesn't hurt asking or dropping a CV off.
I managed to get my current job through the former ops manager of the flying school I flew with. She moved to a managerial role in aircraft handling and asked me if I was still looking for a job, I was!

Member for

11 years 2 months

It doesn't hurt to find out what the job entails, and what the minimum qualifications might be. Just to make sure you aren't wasting your time.

I've checked it out and I match all the requirements for the job. The bad thing is I don't have any experience in the field.

Might be worth asking around at smaller airfields too. Sometimes smaller airfields recruit internally but it doesn't hurt asking or dropping a CV off.
I managed to get my current job through the former ops manager of the flying school I flew with. She moved to a managerial role in aircraft handling and asked me if I was still looking for a job, I was!

It's good to know, thanks!

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Serj

Best time to apply for a ramp job would be between now and end of February. There'll be a lot of recruiting, interviewing etc starting soon so I'd say look everywhere. They tend to start people in March, temporary contracts until September and if you're really good, they'll keep you on or give you an extension.

Servisair, Swissport, MAN Handling, Jet2 will all be recruiting. Jet2 already are I think, just go on their Jet2 Jobs website and apply online. I used to work at Premier Work Support in Heathrow and were good, gave interview quickly but just took them ages to sort out references, airside pass etc. If none of these companies get back to you after two week, ring them up. They deal with a lot of candidates.

It's fine if you don't have much experience, I never had any experience when I got my first job as a ramp agent at Servisair MAN at 18 yrs old. Just put on your CV all the skills they look for (team player, able to lift, excellent communication, quick and efficient worker, quick learner). Obviously you'll need a driving license with no more than 3 points, but sometimes they make an exception.

Manchester Aiport Jobcentre always have a job fair around this time of year where you take your CV, fill out a few details about you and they'll sit you down with a Menzies/Servisair staff and see if you're up to the job.

Good luck! :)

Member for

11 years 2 months

Thanks for the advice, A330-300 (by the way, YNWA :D).

I didn't know there was a Jobcentre at the Manchester Airport. I've checked it out and it's in the same building as some aviation companies. I know it's not likely, but do you think if I go there personally I could drop them a CV? (to the companies, I mean)

Another thing I wanted to ask you about Ramp Agent's jobs. Do you know approximately how many people they use to hire for the summer period? I'm asking that because there are "only" 57 applications at the job offer at Reed's website and, to be honest, I expected more people would apply when I did.

I've also applied to some jobs through the Jet2 website and I even had to do some English and Math's test, hopefully not so much people applies there.

The bad thing is I haven't got any response from any companies/agencies yet, and, for instance, at the Premier Work Support ads they make clear not to call them, so I don't know what to do.

Anyway, thanks guys and, again, sorry for keeping answering things.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Serj. You're doing all the right things. It's still early days for the 'summer hire' but, the process will have started with some companies about now. Some are faster at it than others, but patience and perseverance, should eventually pay off, keep going!

Neil.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Keep at it and good luck. It's not easy to break in to aviation.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Well, I have an interview with Swissport on Friday. :D

The thing is I don't really know for which position are they going to interview me, because I applied both for HR Administration and Seasonal and Permanent Allocators. I think it may be for the first role, as they don't ask for experience in that one.

But still, it would be a way to get in the industry, so fingers crossed. Any of you know which kind of questions do they use to ask in these interviews?

Member for

15 years

You might have this to contend with, too:
Basic Disclosure Scotland
It applies to all of the UK, not just Scotland. Address changes and employment gaps can cause problems with getting airport passes so be prepared for possible delays.