Flybe plans 300 job cuts in revamp programme

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

I have to say that I am kind of shocked. I've always been under the impression Flybe were doing quite well, particularly with the expansion into Finland.

Flybe plans 300 job cuts in revamp programme

23rd January 2013

Regional airline Flybe has said it is planning to cut about 300 jobs as part of a programme to return the carrier to profitability in 2013-14.

The Exeter-based airline said the cuts would lower UK staff numbers by 10%, reducing costs by £35m.

Flybe said it did not expect "significant" changes to the number of its UK bases or routes, but said it would be reviewing its network.

The airline reported a loss of £1.3m in the six months to 30 September.

That compared with a profit of £14.3m a year earlier. The airline has blamed its poor results on rising fuel costs and falling demand because of increases in air passenger duty.

'Disappointed'

Under the turnaround plan, the company said it would reorganise itself into two divisions.

Flybe UK will cover all UK-based scheduled flight services, while Flybe Outsourcing Solutions will cover all outsourced services such as contract flying and training.

The job losses will be seen in the Flybe UK business, with 20% of management posts going and 10% of support and production roles being cut.

The airline said consultation with affected staff and their trade unions would start immediately.

The Prospect union, which represents some Flybe engineers, said it did not support the airline's plans.

"While we acknowledge that the UK's continuing economic weakness is having a negative impact on business, we have yet to be convinced that the combination of job losses and the outsourcing of line maintenance put forward today provides the answer," said Prospect negotiator John Stevenson.

As well as job cuts, Flybe said it would be seeking to cut costs with suppliers, start a fuel efficiency programme and introduce more automated check-ins.

"I am extremely disappointed that many valued and hard-working colleagues may have to leave the organisation," said Flybe chairman and chief executive Jim French.

"We will make every effort to minimise the impact and to offer support wherever possible in the transition."

In a trading update, Flybe said passenger numbers had risen by 1.7% to 1.8 million in the final three months of last year. However, passenger revenues fell 1.2% to £136.9m and costs also rose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21157000

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm surprised also. Looks like another of those 'green shoots of recovery' that them politicians keep quacking on about:rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 7 months

Yes it's happening, mainly made up of pilots, cabin crew & engineers. We've started the 90 day consultation period already.

Member for

14 years

Well, fingers crossed for you Deano. I take it will be LIFO?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks threespool, we shall see what happens. As for LIFO, it's illegal to use it as a single entity for redundancies.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, fingers crossed for you Deano.

Likewise my friend.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks MSR, really appreciated. Bad times for all involved.

Member for

12 years 8 months

A real shame that Flybe find themselves in this position, I fly with them regularly and really rate them.

I've been in that position several times over the years and it's not pleasant.

The article I had seen implied that the 'back office' would be most affected so surprised to hear it's mostly 'front of shop'.

Wishing you (and your colleagues) the best of luck Deano. Keep us informed.

Member for

21 years

Flew on them last Friday evening from Manchester to Edinburgh, and back Sunday afternoon, both flights half full.

Member for

12 years 8 months

both flights half full.

Yes, I will say I have flown SOU GLA, LGW BHD, BHD GLA and LGW NCL several times each in the last year and have seldom seen an aircraft anything like full, usually less than half, whereas my BA flights over the same period have without exception been full to capacity.