Missing Malaysian Airlines B777

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

We don't know anything about any possible motives. It's not because a Fr prosecutor did hint the press with his own narrow vision of human kind that we have to tag any suspected rogue pilot as being a psychotic.
In the 70's, everyone confronted with a similar scenario would have thought at some mafia gangster and a truck load of money in the cargo bay. ;)
What is the trade rate of Mangos lately ?

We will only have a few answers, probably not all of them, if the wreck is ever found. I bought an organic mango today at Kroger and it cost $2.79, pretty expensive!

Member for

12 years 3 months

Simulated Flight to nowhere proves nothing

Seems the DailyBeast agrees with us that there are no more proofs of it being a murder-suicide than the act of a mango Traficant

(2.8$! :o)

The difference between the simulated and actual flights are significant, most notably in the final direction in which they were heading. It’s possible that their overall similarities are coincidental—that Zaharie didn’t intend his simulator flight as a practice run but had merely decided to fly someplace unusual.”

Quick quick, let's jail every real life pilot that get some relaxed time back home on a PC simulation game by virtually buzzing the Elysee Palace, fly inverted under the Golden gate Bridge or Crash land on the shore of Saint Tropez to assault-land an elite squad of Fr Gendarmes...

Member for

12 years 3 months

Tanzania found wing's part highly likely from MH370

aircraft wing part found in Tanzania is "highly likely" to be part of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, an Australian government minister said Friday in what would be the second verified piece of the jetliner.

It's allegedly an outboard wing flap.

What strikes me the most is the presence of sea shells only found with the part recovered in Fr Mauritia. It suggests, as hinted by Jo, the man who contacted the press, that this part was floating along the shore and sent back at sea each time by the worker specially staffed by the local authorities to clean the beaches by burning everything through campfire (weird as it is illegal to openly burn trashes this way).
We have here already discussed this at the time.

EDIT (found in the straightimes (website) today (080516):

The flaperon, however, is still being withheld by French authorities ever since its discovery on the French island in the Indian Ocean.

"The French authorities exercised their right to hold on to the flaperon, as they need it as court evidence.

"They are still investigating the flaperon pending some documentary information from the authorities, including Boeing," Minister Liow said.

One year since its discovery ?!!*

Source:
NBC news.com

*This is what should make the headline instead of all those weird abnegation against the pilot leisure time on a game simulator backed by no facts.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Inmarsat awaits regulatory standards for flight-data streaming

SwiftBroadband provides an IP-based connection with a far higher data rate – up to 432kb/s – than previous communications channels. Inmarsat says this “big pipe”, carried through a constellation of three I-4 satellites, enables airlines to consider a range of applications for which data-transfer limitations proved prohibitive.

“For a long time both suppliers and airlines were content with meeting the minimum for transoceanic flight,” says Inmarsat aviation strategy vice-president Frederik van Essen,

Notice also how Airbus is at the forefront of the expected regulation with provision made already for a broadband installation on the fleet of A320/30.

Source:
FlightGlobal.com

Member for

12 years 3 months

New drift model in study

Six replicas of the flaperon will be sent to Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization's oceanography department in the island state of Tasmania where scientists will determine whether it is the wind or the currents that affect how they drift, Hood said. This will enable more accurate drift modeling than is currently available.
If more money becomes available, the Australian bureau plans to fit the flaperons with satellite beacons and set them adrift at different points in the southern Indian Ocean around March 8 next year — the third anniversary of the disaster — and track their movements.

Edit 090316:

The team made is making six replica flaperons which have been fitted with transmitters and will be set out to sea with buoys off the coast of Australia's island state of Tasmania [...]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3759317/MH370-replica-flaperons-built-CSIRO-ATSB-missing-plane.html

Source:
NBC News.com

Member for

12 years 3 months

As much as 50 new probable debris found in South Africa

50 pieces of debris possibly from the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 have been found by amateur searchers along coastlines in South Africa — the same region of the southwestern Indian Ocean where all of the confirmed and “highly likely” pieces of wreckage from the disappeared Boeing 777-200 have turned up.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Possible catastrophic failure suggested by visual inspection of mangled part found on Mozambique coastline

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247845[/ATTACH]

The fact that it is badly mangled with torn edges has led experts to conclude that the aircraft was not glided down for a 'soft' landing on the sea - a claim by those who believe pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah turned 'rogue' and took control of the aircraft on a suicide flight to end in the ocean where it would sink and drown everyone on board.

Apparently, also, a Boeing part number has been found on the parts (the one depicted being only a detached piece of a larger one).

After the rogue mad pilot theory grossly pushed forward with insistence in a certain press under influence, the Volcano Armageddon orchestrated by local authorities, the weird call back of air searches, we could have now the first piece of evidence linking to the Catastrophic failure theory with crew/passenger incapacitated as we have discussed it on first instance. Our Mangos are now back in the news light...

For a refresh, read here or Here*

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231381&d=1409459840&thumb=1

Source:
The Daily Mail

*Sorry for linking only to my own post. I quickly edited this post based on my memory. Feel free to add links toward other relevant posts and discussions

Attachments

Check your Daily Mail link, it goes to the main page, not the story in question.

Yes, it seems that some parts are mangled and some not (the flaperon). Also, a recent find appeared clean with no barnacles on it. Ingredients for a grande conspiracy theory.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Sorry if I might have looked extatic with this. Not my intention. As written two years ago, there are few hypothesis that match the fact here. Decompression is a fairly well known potential occurence and most crew are well trained for this (see the recent 737 engine failure with a breach of fuselage) and battery runaway that would incapacitate an entire airplane for 9 long hours request a fairly high volume of this (see presumably the 777 from BA with passengers incomadated and vomitting).

I checked the link and it is ok. Click on the text in BOLD. I try generally in my "Source" chapter to link to the main page of the website.

OK I found the story. As I said, funny there are no barnacles on that wreckage. Did the person who found it clean it off?

Member for

12 years 3 months

There are barnacles found so far only on the flaperon discovered on the Fr island.
This part is still on hold by the Fr investigation team (scroll back). I will be surprised if amateur specifically searching for parts related to this incident are unaware that you don't alter crime evidences.

Most discovered parts were so far from inhabited shores.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Austrlia to pursue with the search.

search that has so far cost[ed] $180 million and that was expected to end this summer could now be extended into next year. This will be encouraging news for the families of the passengers and crew on the flight who feared that the search was being prematurely curtailed.

Seems some sonar contact need more attention

Source:
The Daily Beast.com

Member for

12 years 3 months

Recovered in Madagascar, burnt internal panels raise other possibilities, including cascading failures after a flash fire

The new pieces, to be given to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in Canberra today, are non-structural and appear to be sections of an internal wall panel which has been burnt, quite likely by a flash fire.

They strongly resemble some of the the panelling used in the Boeing 777 avionics bay, which is located below and behind the cockpit under the main cabin floor.

The pictures can be seen here: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/game-changer-new-possible-mh370-debris-shows-signs-of-fire-on-board/news-story/1b302c8986ebc3e984fb81d27e6cd252

It increased after Malaysian authorities revealed the plane had been transporting a large amount of potentially flammable lithium batteries in its cargo.

By the way, I would like to be clear here: to my knowledge, we were the firsts to publicly discuss and come around a plausible battery theory here.

Source:
Yahoo News Australia via The West Australian

Member for

12 years 3 months

In the hands of the ATSB

the ATSB has today received debris from Mr Gibson and are seeking advice from Malaysian authorities regarding how they would like to proceed,” a spokesman told news.com.au.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Tanzania debris "part of the missing plane"

the inboard section of the right, outboard flap of the plane, was recovered in June. [...]
The part numbers and a date stamp on the piece, recovered on Pemba island, helped the investigation.

In addition to the Boeing part number, the report said, the identification stamps had an "OL" number, both unique identifiers to part construction.

The Italian part manufacturer then recovered build records for those numbers, confirming that they belonged to the missing plane.

However, in contrary to what is written in the press, I am on the opinion that a ctrled crash landing by an hypothetical pilot in ctrl won't have seen Flap extended if that one was to be experienced. I have already posted crash at sea recommended procedures long ago here, specifically dealing with that hypothesis.

So there are not such conclusion to expect from this. The only thing certain WOULD be that a controlled descent (ascertained by the extended position of the flap) was done by an Inexperienced pilot. This would be a revolutionary conclusion by itself but still inline with the theory of an incapacitated flight crew and unknown numbers of survivors.

Source:
The BBC.com

Member for

12 years 9 months

So there are not such conclusion to expect from this. The only thing certain WOULD be that a controlled descent (ascertained by the extended position of the flap) was done by an Inexperienced pilot. This would be a revolutionary conclusion by itself but still inline with the theory of an incapacitated flight crew and unknown numbers of survivors.

An interesting idea, but it would have to be a pretty experienced pilot to be able to know how to operate the flaps. I'm assuming that by now, if any other passengers on board had flying experience, it would have been flagged up - certainly back when it was thought the plane had been hijacked. It could have been a flight attendant perhaps - I know if I had that role I would learn how to land a plane in an emergency. If they could do that, however, surely they could have been able to change the flight path and head for land, rather than into the middle of nowhere.

The recent discovery of burned parts and mention of batteries is also interesting, but any fire bad enough to damage the fuselage would have surely downed the plane far earlier than its apparent fuel-expiry crash. I would suspect this damage was caused in the crash or even afterwards (suggestion on one news source, they might have been burned on a beach bonfire by locals).

Member for

12 years 3 months

239 ppl died when MH370 plunged into sea (at max). It is dubious than none of them knew how a plane operates in general (hobby, professionally related, TV series, book etc...). Then Flap lever are easily identifiable on a Boeing aircraft.
Note that I don't expect this hypothesis. I just mentioned that possibility.

The absence of soot and polymers retraction rather clearly identifies a flash fire* as was noted earlier. But you are right, we must step cautiously.

*if any... (late edit)