Still hope for Manston?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks Paul - I am watching the developments more remotely than from my usual standpoint a few miles down the road. But quite what happens now is none too clear. Presumably the government does not have the power to force a local council to proceed with a CPO. Or does it?

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

Charlie, At times it was a bit difficult to hear what was being said between the supporters and the Minister but the impression I got was that it was now up to TDC so still that hurdle to go and as you probably already know not all councillors are supportive even if they have said publicly they are!

On balance I think the election is going to help as it appears all candidates feel the need to support the CPO and hopefully the Labour candidate will put pressure on the councillors. Then again they could spin it out until after the election.

Paul

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks Paul. I thought I read that the "owners" were deeply unhappy with the timing of events and were taking it up with the Electoral Commission. But we can only hope that pressures political and popular will win the day with TDC. The fat lady has been waiting a long time to sing her song, hasn't she?!

Member for

11 years 4 months

Yes the Minister did answer that point and basically he was saying that this situation has been going on for some time long before any election date was announced as was the Select Committee and the PWC investigation. It is just a sequence of events.

Of course, the starting pistol was fired by Mrs Goag when she closed the airport early, she should have thought of the election then. Obviously she probably thought it would all be done and dusted quickly.

I had to stop and think which way the election would effect the case as there is no MP for the area at the moment who had been supportive so from there it could have gone either way. From what I could gather all prospective candidates have come on board, or at least jumped on the band wagon anyway, so it may be difficult for Labour if the Council do note vote for the CPO. I don't know when the next Council elections are but there was talk of supporters standing for election.

Although the TV crew was there, I do not know which company, I did not see any reporters or press photographers.

On a lighter note there was plenty of support from passing motorists tooting their horns, obviously every body was in a good mood with the news and having a laugh

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7619/16925266629_935abb402b_b.jpgIMG_0537 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

the Minister was relieved that there was a baby present as he has to kiss at least one on each day of the campaign

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8797/16489033314_1dfd0a24da_b.jpgIMG_0534 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

and many hands were pressed

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8689/16906467218_eb6fc9d695_b.jpgIMG_0570 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

Member for

11 years 6 months

Paul - thanks for keeping me up to speed!! I keenly await the next development!!:)

Member for

17 years 6 months

There was One of the BBC news election jobbies on the news this morning and it was UKIPs turn, the person being questioned mentioned Boris's airport was dead and Manston should be used, stating its proximity to HS2 as making it ideal, it was a generic chat involving Gatwick and Heathrow, but they were planing Manston into the equation.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/farage-claims-credit-for-airport-34934/

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ummmm

Manston is nowhere near HS2.

It's pretty close to HS1 though. I suppose that's close enough for UKIP?

Moggy

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yes, indeed - you do wonder sometimes:rolleyes:.....but H, S and either 1 or 2. So, what's in a number.....? Err, about £40 billion, I think....!!

Member for

11 years 4 months

Thanks for posting Charlie. I find it odd, shall we say, that the constituents of Thanet have elected a UKIP council, are there problems there that are not immediately obvious to the outsider that would make UKIP a contender? Or is it "just" a vote over the airport?

Member for

11 years 6 months

I wouldn't know, Paul, but if the answer to your last question is "yes", then local feelings in support of the airport's future as an airport must be very strong. Although having said that I think the Conservatives in the old council were supportive too..

Member for

14 years 1 month

Did the earth move for you last night Charlie ? :)

Member for

11 years 4 months

Trust me to be up North and miss it.:D

Member for

11 years 6 months

Alan - surprisingly not but it did for my son who lives a couple of miles nearer the epicentre!! :)

Member for

11 years 4 months

Is continental drift OK then? :D

Member for

11 years 4 months

Spotted this in Historic thread

Osborne seeks planning changes to boost house-building - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33472405

Bet Mrs Goag wishes she had kept Manston open the period she said she would. If this does come in it would have been much easier for her.

Hopefully the CPO is proceeding although it does seem to have gone quiet.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Apparently to be used for Operation Stack to free up the M20 in the current problems.

Moggy

Member for

11 years 4 months

I wondered how long it would take to do that. I wonder what agreement has been reached with the owners then and whether that is good or bad for Manston long term.

Member for

11 years 6 months

But has it been confirmed? I thought it was just one on a list of alternatives, official and unofficial, with no decision yet made.