Joint Sino-Russian Long-Range-Airliner

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Russian, Chinese Companies Agree to Build Joint Long-Range Airliner

MOSCOW, May 20 (RIA Novosti) – The leaders of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation and the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China have signed an agreement to cooperate on the development of a new wide-body long-range passenger airliner, the Russian company said in a statement Tuesday.

“The combined efforts of COMAC and UNAC on the joint creation of a new series of long-range planes will bring cooperation between the two countries in the aircraft industry to a completely different level,” UNAC CEO Mikhail Pogosyan said, according to the statement.
The memorandum on cooperation was the result of two years of consultations between Russian and Chinese experts.
The new project will be one of the largest international collaborations in the aircraft industry, as well as in the hi-tech fields of both countries. The new plane is expected to eventually occupy a significant share of the international market.
A Russian delegation led by President Vladimir Putin arrived in China on Tuesday for an official visit that was expected to result in the signing of a large number of documents, including bilateral, intergovernmental, inter-departmental and corporate agreements.

http://en.ria.ru/russia/20140520/189969386/Russian-Chinese-Companies-Agree-to-Build-Joint-Long-Range.html
Or http://itar-tass.com/ekonomika/1198924

To admit I already got a lot of bashing today at other forums after I voiced some concerns or sceptics about the possible success of this project.

Does anyone have more information about it ?? I assume it will be at least a claoos above the MS-21/C919 and as such compete with the larger 767/777/A330/340 ... or even 787/777/A350 ??

From what I got so far it is said to be planned for 400/390 people total however if that is in one class configuration or three class layout I don't know.

Anyway IMO too much of only a Memorandum of Understanding ...

Deino
Thanks in advance,
Deino

Original post

Member for

13 years 5 months

Interesting, to say the least. I wonder how the workload will be split. The new Russian birds use plenty of international components (as all modern airliners), will be curious if they are aiming at a more "indigenous" content here (I doubt it).

Forget A340/767/A330, they are outdated (by tomorrow's comparison, when this bird will actually be ready) as is. There is no reason, at least if we look at Superjet or MC-21 that this bird should be a 2nd tier airliner.
In terms of sales of course barring a miracle it will be, but that is not really an issue if they sell a decent amount.

In the background is the mega gas-deal finally signed.

Member for

14 years 1 month

To admit I already got a lot of bashing today at other forums after I voiced some concerns or sceptics about the possible success of this project.

Commercially, it'd be a total disaster.

The MS-21 timeframes are nowhere to be seen - last I heard P&W downed tools because the fall out was that serious.

The ARJ-21 certification program is also an utter minefield. Years behind schedule with no real sight of light at the end of the tunnel.

The C919 has already been rescheduled a couple of times.

However, there is much more to the program than just $$.

MS-21 will be better than the Superjet. C919 will be better than ARJ21. This widebody will no doubt improve on them all. The gap relative to the others (Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer) will close. Eventually, with perseverance, a commercially competitive product will be produced.

Member for

20 years 5 months

It'll be revealed next year and look remarkably similar to a 777-200ER :dev2:

Member for

24 years 2 months

To admit even if most points of concern on the one side and on the other also all pros were mentioned, I'm actually surprised that only so few information was revealed so far, which gives that bird some kind of fishy taste IMO.

So far no timeline, no specifications, not even an artist impression ... simply nothing more than the reports above.

Deino