[ATTACH=CONFIG]232377[/ATTACH]

The 737 MAX is off the starting blocks!

http://www.boeingblogs.com/randy/archives/2014/10/max_takes_shape_1.html

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Good to see.
I went to the Boeing website about it and was impressed.
They're still predicting better fuel efficiency than the 320NEO.
The new winglets are part of the reason.

Meanwhile, in the last 2 months, I've had three trips in 737-700/800s.
Nice enough aircraft...the Southwest configuration seemed to be more comfortable than my most recent 320 trip on Easyjet (to compare low cost carriers).

Member for

14 years 2 months

They're still predicting better fuel efficiency than the 320NEO.
The new winglets are part of the reason.

Its a bit early to be sure that is the case.

The relative orderbook certainly wouldn't strongly back it up.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Its a bit early to be sure that is the case.

The relative orderbook certainly wouldn't strongly back it up.

Boeing sales are quite healthy considering the year-long head start the Airbus has had in sales.
From a Boeing news release yesterday announcing a new sale of 50 aircraft:"2,295 orders for the 737 Max models from 47 airlines".

Still Boeing predicts better fuel economy, and they're saying the new winglets are one of the reasons.
Their computer simulations might be off, but I'd expect they have them fairly well nailed down to avoid disappointing customers...especially since many contracts have penalty clauses if the aircraft doesn't live up to expectations.

One think I've never understood is the original 320 wing could not support blended winglets...whereas Boeing has offered them for years either from the factory or through a kit offered by Aviation partners.
A week out of service and $500,000 and you get 2-3% fuel savings.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Boeing sales are quite healthy considering the year-long head start the Airbus has had in sales.

But relatively around 2/3s that of NEO.

The year head start is irrelevant at this point in time as that 1/3 extra represents many more years manufacturing.

Still Boeing predicts better fuel economy, and they're saying the new winglets are one of the reasons.
Their computer simulations might be off, but I'd expect they have them fairly well nailed down to avoid disappointing customers...especially since many contracts have penalty clauses if the aircraft doesn't live up to expectations.

Oh, I'd reckon the disconnect would be between engineering and marketing. Not reality and engineering.

One think I've never understood is the original 320 wing could not support blended winglets...whereas Boeing has offered them for years either from the factory or through a kit offered by Aviation partners.

That'd depend on the static and fatigue margins within the wing structure.

(Don't forget, the A320 wing is older than the 737NG wing.)

But may* reduce your inspection intervals - its never black and white.

*==should - otherwise the non-winglet operators are getting a bad deal.

Member for

19 years

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/products_list_prices.php

I was going to disagree with your price assessment from memory, but having checked the figures, the quoted prices are generally above $1,000,000!!!