Emirates set to announce Glasgow-Dubai route

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

A story in the Evening Times today seems to reveal a new long haul route for Glasgow. Good news after yesterday's Bmi-Baby axe.

READ MORE

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Glasgow??? Why Glasgow?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I can think of a least a dozen friends, family or such like who work in Dubai, so there must be demand I guess ?

Still no news on the PIA service or the Cuba one either ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I suspect it would be with an A330. All UK routes seem to be doing well, LGW, LHR, MAN and BHX all have a very regular frequency.
Obviously I suspect the growing tourism industry plus the extremely popular connections to the East will make the route a success.

Any news on US Airways at GLA?

Member for

24 years 2 months

OK - I'm Scottish and all for Scotland getting new and exciting routes, but I do have some doubts about the feasibility of a scheduled GLA/DXB route.

The connections at GLA are limited in comparison to MAN/BHX/LON and I think that there won't be enough direct traffic interest to sustain the route more than, say, twice a week. Then again, if you limit a service to twice a week and people want to travel on the days that you don't operate, then you force them to connect to one of your (or someone else's) services from other airports. It could work either way and I'm not sure which way it will go. I hope it works, however. Perhaps a stopover in another European city would help sustain GLA services? Of course, connections at DXB could prove popular?

Does anyone know which frequency is being considered?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by Saab 2000

Any news on US Airways at GLA?

Not heard anything in ages.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Ren,

You mentioned about PIA.
I remember them looking into flying into Leeds Bradford a couple of years ago however they eventually decided to just concentrate their new route on BHX (this on top of the existing MAN and LHR ofcourse.) Are they looking at Glasgow as a posibility now?

Regards

Ben

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's been a rumour for about a year or so now with no official confirmation or denial as yet.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ahh, now where have I seen that scenario before...

cheers
BEN

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ha ha , in a million places no doubt. Airports trade in rumours it would seem. :p

Member for

20 years 9 months

Emirates also hopes to b flying to new zealand and brisbane before the years end

Member for

24 years 2 months

Benair - PIA would never fly in here without the runway extension i'd expect - was supposed to b an A310 service - would be nice to see tho!

Member for

24 years 2 months

PIA has grounded 2 A310s recently due to technical snags.