Do you think more people are flying private?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

6 years 4 months

It's funny, I was chatting to a friend of mine who works as a consultant for a major brand, and he often has to travel around the world, primarily Europe. He said his company used to send him on business class, but are sending him on private jets more often now! He's a bit surprised, but obviously not going to argue :P Is it becoming cheaper/efficient to send people privately, instead of via an airline? He said only in the last 6 months did he notice the change. Anyone else flying private more often? :D

Original post

Member for

5 years 10 months

Ha, well I'm certainly not flying private more often, but tbh, I have heard similar rumblings about the industry being somewhat more affordable. I think there's still a long way to go before it becomes easy enough for regular flyers to do, rather than the rich or businesspeople, but perhaps in 10 years, we'll see a change. It can be more cost effective to send people privately, as commercial airlines don't always have good times, and obviously, things get done quicker when you can go straight from the airport to your client meeting or whatever it might be.

Member for

6 years 4 months

True, we do expect and demand a lot of convenience and different options when we travel, so it wouldn't be so surprising to see more private jets being used for more purposes than business. Like, there's actually a private jet tour of the world you can do for 25 days :D Did you know about this? I don't really have $150,000 spare cash lying around, but would still be fun to try :P

Member for

5 years 10 months

Yeah I've heard of such tours exciting actually. Great if you have the money! It's hard to picture what travel will be like in 10 years, but it does seem likely that we will all want to see parts of the world that are harder to reach. The concept of private jets being cheaper/easier to book seems possible in 10 years, certainly.

Member for

6 years 4 months

It seems as if the booking part of private jets isn't so mysterious anymore, either. A few years ago, I would have literally no idea who to turn to regarding this :/ The guy I know said he is using this, as it sort of works like Skyscanner a bit. I guess the price of private jets would never be anywhere like that of EasyJet or RyanAir, or whatever, as I guess that defeats the purpose of it being a luxury or business trip. But will be an interesting field to watch in the coming years, no doubt about it.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Of course more people are flying private...
Loot at the number of fractional jet firms. They have bought hundreds of aircraft over the last decade and a half.

You see firms like Netjets sponsoring or adversing at high-end events.

And for those with money, just not as much, there are more jet charter firms with fleets of aircraft and a promise to subscribers that a jet will be where they need it in X-many hours.

I believe even airlines have gotten into the act with Biz jets.
So, in short, you don't have to own/operate your own jet to fly private.

If I had that kind of money, I'd go the fractional jet route, it just makes more sense to let others share the capital cost of a jet and have experts take care of the crewing, basing, maintenance and insurance.