Ryanair over takes BA as the UK's most popular airline

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Come on guy's, FR are successful because they are CHEAP!!!! Nothing more, nothing less!

The great British public love nothing better than paying next to nothing for their ticket and then complaining about the service or that they have landed 50 miles away from their destination!

You pays your peanuts, you gets your monkeys!

FR couldn't give a monkeys as they know that people will go back time and time again simply because they are CHEAP!

Purser

Member for

20 years 9 months

Very true comment there! WELL SAID PURSER

Member for

24 years 3 months

I thought that standards were supposed to be uniform throughout the EU?

I can't bring myself to blame Ryanair for that: if I ran an Irish airline I would adhere to the relevant standards but couldn't justify any extra costs to exceed those standards: what's the return? Anger/blame should be directed toward the Irish Government and not the companies which only follow their laws.

Exactly which British taxes are higher than Irish ones? Are you seriously saying that they should, voluntarily, pay more tax? That isn't exactly rational behaviour!!

Member for

20 years 11 months

Flag of convenience

If FR wants to have the majority of its flying based at STN then it should be made to operate as a British carrier, to British rules. Then see how it does! In the meantime they are effectively flying under a flag of convenience.

As for safety, a friend of mine, worked for a charter airline at STN which closed the base. She lives in Cambridge so applied to FR in order to stay flying at STN. She worked for them for 6 weeks before leaving, preferring to be unemployed. In her opinion the crew are adequately trained for day to day ops, but completely unprepared for the day an emergency happens.

Personally I hate what the likes of FR are doing to the industry, and everything that MO'L stands for.

You operate aircraft and crew to those schedules, sell tickets at those prices, and have his arrogant attitude, and something is going to give.

1L.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Purser ....Ryanair are "successful" because they DONT operate on a level field with the full service carriers, ie subsidies, cut corners etc. Look I don't want to appear big headed but I worked alongside, but thankfully not, for that crowd for a long time and its all very well for people on here to crow on about the "cheap" fares and "you pays peanuts you gets monkeys" etc but I firmly believe from what I've seen and heard in my time in aviation that carriers such as this one are not in the long term interests of either the aviation industry as a whole or the travelling public. In five years time if I'm wrong and the likes of RYR and others don't succumb to the proposed new taxes on aviation or to the inevitable rises in aviation fuel then I'll be the first one to eat lots of humble pie, but I'm not polishing my spoon just yet!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mongu - the levels that the regs are set at is intended to legalise the worst case scenario so that airlines can get themselves out of holes. By agreeing to a higher general standard of operation as the norm (than that laid down by the JAA), the UK CAA can operate a relatively relaxed relationship with the carriers it is responsible for, knowing that in difficult situations they can still operate legitimately and be safely inside the law. The intention is not to operate on a regular basis like this. The Irish Authority don't seem to be too worried about their overseas responsibility milking their system to the full so that's why FR find their set up so convenient. Another stunning example of this in action is the Icelandic authority and why people are now starting to ask serious questions about Air Atlanta Icelandic. Rumour has it that they only have one widebody Ops Inspector who refuses to leave Iceland! Allegedly, there has been so much concern about their overseas operation that they had to set up Air Atlanta Europe on a separate UK AOC for credibility.

When you say 'I thought that standards were supposed to be uniform throughout the EU?', you are right...except that should be refined to '...BARE MINIMUM standards were...uniform throughout the EU'

Member for

20 years 7 months

Aer Lingus most UK carriers for service. And you dont pay extra if you're disabled!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I would defiently agree with you on that topic, Aer Lingus are in a league of its own when it comes to service. Although I don,t find any problems with Ryanair. I don,t understand why people dislike Ryanair,Surely not because were Irish

Member for

20 years 11 months

Even if they had more PAX than BA which they dont, I bet the passengers would much rather travel BA, if they would spend a fe more pounds

Member for

24 years 3 months

They are a marketing jem with the things they come up with especially when using situations like the Iraq War to try and put other airlines in a bad light!

Also, Michael the CEO doesnt like traffic ques! He has registered his own private merc mini-limo as a TAXI so he can have it driven in bus lanes in Dublin. Again cheating the law and I dont like him one bit for that.

Safety is NEVER a concern of theirs. May I bring to attention the recent story of WHY the 737-200s are being retired. It has been found that Ryanair wanted a cheap way of removing paint from the aircraft so they used a STANLEY KNIFE as it was cheap thus taking a few chunks out of the aircraft here and there! Thats the real reason why they r being retired as they arent safe enough to fly!

Also,

I flew DUB->BHX and they decided to IGNORE ATC on the ground and taxi around at high speed an aircraft blocking them, ahead of the take off que, by using a different taxiway. I was listening on scanner and ATC blew their nut as Ryanair bunked and taxied straight onto the runway and ATC didnt clear them until they asked to do so at the holding point while we were still at high speed. Fair was £20 one way but i wont use them now.

Member for

21 years

I friend of mine used to work for FLS Aerospace at Stansted. I was talking to him today about this issue and he told me that Ryanair will do the bare minimum to remain safe. He went as far as to say that you could actually kick a whole through some of the 732s bodywork they were so old!

Member for

21 years

Andrew M very true!And thats why people shouldnt use them!
They're a cheap cowboy outfit!Easy jet may be cheap fares but in terms of safety they're not in the same league as Ryan Air.

Member for

21 years

Now they are advertising in the press, with a picture of Concorde in Ryanair colours :confused: saying Concorde RIP now Ryanair is Britains favourite airline, with the most flights in Europe!

They are posting an obvious contradiction in terms even on the advert "Britains favourite airline in Europe" :confused: it doesn't make sense!

The sooner someone (BA preferably) sue them for false advertising, slander or some such thing the better!