Dan Air....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi!!! I was just looking at some old photos of holidays when I was a kid..... does anyone know what happened to the aircraft of the Dan Air Fleet after they were taken over by BA?

I am particularly interested in the fates of the BAC-111's and the 727's....... were they sold on or scrapped??? Do any of these still fly today?

I hope so. I have great memories of flying on these a/c.

Also, does anyone know the fates of Britannia 737-200's 'Robert Falcon Scott' and 'Amy Johnson'? and British Airtours Tristar 'Swansea Bay'??? I did not record the registrations I'm afraid...

I flew on these aircraft a number of times in the 80's and would love to know what became of them.

Thanks,

Paul.

Original post

Member for

21 years

I'm afraid the large majority of the ex Dan Air fleet was scrapped, BAC111s, 727s and 707s definitly.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe one of the 727-200's was flying with Cougar until they went belly up.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Totally correct Wys.....it was the Dan 727 which had the landing accident whilst on lease to a Mexican carrier. That aircraft was left with "scars" following its repairs in the form of external fuselage bracing visible on the skin...very strange to see.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I didn't realise it was that same aircraft with the mexican bunch. I seem to remember that Dan had a 1-11 that was a former write off that they bought for spares but managed to get it back serviceable, albeit with an extra strengthening spine down its back.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have a pic somewhere. If I find it, I'll post.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh what a quick response! Thanks for that.

It's a shame most of the fleet was scrapped. I used to love 111's and 727's..... they were fantastic aircraft.....

What about they Britannia a/c that I mentioned or the Tristar? Is it now flying with the RAF?

Paul.

Member for

21 years 1 month

I thought the Dan-air (Davis & Newman is the origin of the name) 727' carried on flying with Sabre for a while and then to Cougar.

The 737-400's they had are (i think G-BHVM/VN/VO) still in service with BA but the 727-200 (G-BICV) is now with Bahamasair as C6-BFX.

Re Britannia 737 & Airtours L1011 - I can probably find some info on these over the weekend

Member for

21 years

Those 734s you talk about have now left the BA fleet, I think they are now in storage at GLA?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Originally posted by paulc
I thought the Dan-air (Davis & Newman is the origin of the name) 727' carried on flying with Sabre for a while and then to Cougar.

The 737-400's they had are (i think G-BHVM/VN/VO) still in service with BA but the 727-200 (G-BICV) is now with Bahamasair as C6-BFX.

Re Britannia 737 & Airtours L1011 - I can probably find some info on these over the weekend

Bahamasair haven't operated that 727 for a while.
My friend is a Dash8 Pilot with them, so I get to know some insider details... like they getting 3 more used Dash 8's soon and, Pending a finance review, may be getting 1 or two 737s, either 300 or 400's, whatevers works out cheaper for them.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I remember the last day of DA operations at LGW. By then it was mostly only 737's and 146's flying. G-BPNT doing the last 146 flight,G-BCWA last 1-11 flight,G-WGEL the last 737 flight on 6/11/92.
I have those to storeage as follows
The 1-11's to Hurn
727's to Lasham( noted 6/6/93 G-BMDF,BMLP,BNNI,BPNS,N500AV)
146's to Hatfield and East Midlands

Member for

20 years 11 months

Casting my mind back

I've had to stretch my memory here so don't quote me, but I think these are about right.

The 1-11's were disposed of, via British World who sold them on to the usual African and South American markets. I'm sure most of them will have been broken up by now.

Much the same fate was true of the 727's, except for BNNI and BPND. They went to Sabre (both flying) and on to Cougar (ND flying and NI as a source of spares. As far as I know OKJN and OPMN at Sabre and Cougar were never DA aircraft (certainly not with those reg's), but I'm happy to be corrected on that one.

The 737-200's were disposed of. The -300's were at BA short term and were soon disposed of. BNNJ went to Excalibur for a short while as OCHA.

The -400's were kept by BA for varying lengths of time.
BNNK/L Wento GB Airways
BPNZ Went to China Hainan
BSNV/W Returned to lessor
BUHJ/K Returned to lessor
BUHL Went to GB Airways
BVNM/N/O See below
TREN Went to GB Airways

BVNM/N/O were still with BA recently (I flew on NN to GLA quite recently), but not sure what is happening with them. They were also ex Air Europe, and I have worked on these aircraft at 3 airlines now.

The 146's were returned to lessor, but I think BPNT ended up with Flightline.

As for the 2 repaired aircraft, they were 1-11 BJYM and 727 BMLP. BJYM was never crashed but had been used as a glorified storage shed and monkey house in South America, hence its nickname, Yuck & Muck. BMLP was I believe involved in a gear-up landing in Mexico, and repaired by the infamous Dan-Air Engineering. It did indeed have an unusual strut along its back making it very distinctive. Most DA aircraft had nicknames, and LP was the Limping Penis.

Somewhere I have some photos of LP during a turnround in PMI, and if my mate Wys will scan them for me I will try to post them for you.

1L.

Member for

21 years

Where did Cougars 727s go when they went bust? Are they in storage/scrapped or flying elsewhere?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm pritty certain that the BAC1-11s were operated for a fair while by British World prior to the B733 aquisitions as opposed to just passed on for resale - perhaps it is just the way i read it?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Originally posted by Mark L
Where did Cougars 727s go when they went bust? Are they in storage/scrapped or flying elsewhere?

One of the Cougar 727's was in storeage at Southend when I last visited in the summer. Before that I think the other one was a Stansted??

Member for

20 years 10 months

There were (unless I'm very much mistaken) 2 Cougar 727s at Southend when I was there for the Airshow open day in May.

Member for

21 years 1 month

opp- G-BICV was a 737-200 - I flew on it twice.

Britannia aircraft G-BADR (c/n20633) named 'Robert Falcon Scott' went to Lan Chile as CC-CSI

G-BECG (C/n 21335) 'Amy Johnson' went to LAPA as LV-YXB

British Airtours L1011 G-BEAM (c/n 1146) went to Kitty Hawk/American International as N112CK as was broken up at Oscoda.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Found some old holiday pictures floating around from 1984 (when I was 4). This picture shows a Dan Air 727 bound for Gatwick. As I remember the 727's flew to Gatwick and the 737's flew to Manchester from Zante. Sorry about the image quality but it is nearly 20 years old !!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for all your replies........

Pity about the Tristar....... that was a lovely Jet.... It used to fly from MAN at the same time every week and we used to watch it at the airport hotel. The port engine used to make an awful grinding noise when spooling up and you could hear it in the cabin too!!!!!!

Paul.