A couple of questions about SkyTeam

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Sorry if any of these questions has already been asked and replied but I dont seem to find anything on the subject :(

First, I don't see any Skyteam logos on KLM planes.
Are they already a part of Skyteam or when will they be?

And second, wouldn't it make sense for Air Europa to join Skyteam.

They already do code share with Air France and they also have (had?) agreements with KLM and Alitalia, two other Skyteam members.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am not sure what Air Europa's operations are, but if they are domestic and they operate into sectors that not many scheduled airlines operate too, it makes perfect sense for them to joining an alliance. Its just the simple tactic of expanding ones circle to every corner of the globe. Star Alliance is doing this by getting into talks with some domestic carriers in Asia such as Jet Airways and one Chinese airlines which i cant remember.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does Air Europa have scheduled service? I was under the impression they where a charterer.

KLM will join the alliance early September, and will then introduce the logos. Northwest anc Continental will join then as well.

Aeroflot will join next year, but I do not know when.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Think AEA do have some domestic and other scheduled services, but I think they are mainly charter.

Member for

21 years

Yes, Air Europa has schedules services and flies inside Spain but also to some European cities (Paris, London...) and they even have some Latin American scheduled destinations.

So none of them really enters in conflict with any Skyteam member.

And I think they also code-share with Continental to New York so if the latter is also joining Skyteam, it makes even more sense :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes, Air Europa has schedules services and flies inside Spain but although to some European cities (Paris, London...) and they even have some Latin American sxcheduled destinations.

So none of them really enters in conflict with any Skyteam member.

And I think they also code-share with Continental to New York so if the latter is also joining Skyteam, it makes even more sense :)

And i dont think so Skyteam ahs any hold in the Latin Americans sector? So if they operate scheduled services to Latin America it adds Skyteam although not a big scale, but a medium scale in Latin America.

Member for

20 years

I heard (not sure) that MEA is going to enter Skyteam in November, I appreciate any confirmation !!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Got this article from Airliners.net. According to the poster this message was printed in MEA's december/january issue of CedarWings. He also said it was mentioned on Lebanese TV, but could not list sources.

see reply 17
MEA to expand service and join Skyteam in 2004

MEA Chairman Mohamad El-Hout revealed that the company will join Skyteam in 2004 as a result of its alliance with Air France, opening up new prospects for the national airline. "The times require big alliances. Lufthansa, with a fleet of two hundred and fifty aircraft, has pointed to the necessity of broadening its alliances in order to remain viable. What then, would the case be for MEA, with nine planes?" he rationed.

Mr. El Hout said he was surprised by the trend in the Arab market of a proliferation of airline companies, while worldwide the times are prompting airline companies to join together for greater consolidation.

In the next three years, the aviation sector will be shaped by three major axes of alliance. They will probably be as follows: Air France/KLM; British Airways/Iberia; Austrian Airlines and perhaps Cyprus Airways; Lufthansa/SWISS and others.

"The capitalization of Arab companies altogether is less than one American company," he added

Also check this threads for more speculation and the occaisional tidbit of news:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1533363/4/

Member for

24 years 2 months

And i dont think so Skyteam ahs any hold in the Latin Americans sector? So if they operate scheduled services to Latin America it adds Skyteam although not a big scale, but a medium scale in Latin America.
Well, I would definitely consider AeroMexico, one of Skyteams charter members, to be of Latin American origin. Therefore, they are relatively strong in that area.

With the introduction of CO, NW, and KL, Skyteam will be a very formidable alliance, in my opinion, second only to Star, of course. ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have a concern about the way that CO , DL and NW will live together inside the SkyTeam alliance. those guys are strong competitors on the US market.
Does it mean they will cut their capacities over the pond once more?
I suspect this might end to a raise of the fares on the alantic routes once again.

Member for

20 years

thanks tenthije, that would answer a lot of my questions about MEA joining Skyteam, i apreciate it !!
Regards