Air Wales at Norwich

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

New Norwich to Dublin Air Service Announced! First Low Fare Route for Airport (18/8/04)
Welsh Airline Air Wales today announces the launch of a new air service direct to Dublin and Cardiff from Norwich International Airport at the beginning of November.
The service will initially operate on three days of the week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Air Wales has however expressed its desire to increase this to a possible six days a week, if the customer demand exists.

Passengers who wish to travel to Cardiff will also be able to book on the service travelling via Dublin on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a new direct Cardiff flight operating on Saturdays

The 1 hour 20 minute flight to Dublin and the 1-hour flight to Cardiff will be competitively priced from £39.99 each way (inclusive of taxes) and as such are designed to appeal to both the leisure and business market. Flights for the new routes will go on sale from today on the Air Wales website (www.airwales.com) and will be operated by Air Wales’ growing fleet of luxury 50-seater ATR-42 Aircraft.

Trevor Eady, commercial director, Norwich International comments, “This is one of the most exciting developments to happen at Norwich International for some time. The Dublin route has been constantly demanded by our customers and we have worked with many companies to try to secure it. Air Wales have listened to our presentations and see an opportunity to grow their network. They have ideal size aircraft for the route and have confidence that they will be able to increase frequencies within a short time. We are fully aware that something like 100,000 travellers a year from our catchment area fly from Stansted to Dublin. The introduction of the route at the fare levels quoted will provide the region with its first low cost operation from Norwich. In addition to Dublin the ability to book through to Cardiff will be a useful additional route for many business and leisure passengers. Current drive times being in the region of 4 -5 hours compared with the 2 and half hours using the Dublin connection. We look forward to the start of the service and expect to see full aircraft from a very early stage. After all users will find themselves in Dublin in less time than many could access Stansted!”

Air Wales chairman, Roy Thomas, said: “As an airline we pride ourselves on offering competitively priced high demand services from domestic Airports. We’ve been in discussions with Norwich Airport for some time and we’re confident that this is a much-needed service for Norwich and we’re hopeful that it will receive strong support from travellers in East Anglia. While initially we will only be operating the service at 3 days a week, we are hopeful in time, that we will be able to increase this to a more robust 6 days a week service which will open up countless opportunities for business and tourism in the area. Air Wales is a rapidly expanding airline and we are committed to increasing the portfolio of regional destinations we serve and we’re delighted to be working in partnership with Norwich Airport.”

These new services are part of a continued expansion for Air Wales which has launched several new routes over the last year and now operates services to and from Cardiff, Dublin, Newcastle, Amsterdam, Plymouth, and Cork.

Flights can be booked by calling Air Wales’ call centre on 0870 777 3131 or via the website – www.airwales.com.

New Service Timings from Norwich

Days Dep Arr Dep Arr

Tues & Wed Norwich to Dublin 1410 1530 Dublin to Norwich 1210 1340

Tues & Wed Dublin to Cardiff 1600 1700 Cardiff to Dublin 1040 1140

Saturdays Cardiff to Norwich 1040 1140 Norwich to Cardiff 1600 1640

Saturdays Norwich to Dublin 1210 1340 Dublin to Norwich 1410 1530

Great news for Norwich, nice to see more and more regional airports getting more and routes.

I am still very surprised that Humberside only has a KLM AMS flight and Eastern Aberdeen flights. Surely some sort of airline has got to pick up a London/Dublin/Belfast/The Spanish Costas, routes soon.

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

Yes I have to agree, this is a great achievement for the airport. It's nice to see some news going on at the smaller airports.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well done Air Wales! All you need to do now is to get HUY/DUB under your belt and you will be on to two winners. NWI/CDG lasted a while with Scotairways but I suspect that their fares may have been higher than the typical Air Wales fare. Another opportunity sitting there?

Member for

19 years 8 months

I admire Air Wales, serving local communities. Wish they hadnt pulled out of Swansea though!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Dan Air and Air UK had a great history of serving local UK airports. Air UK was the only scheduled operator at Norwich for many years and also at HUY too!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Trouble with Swansea is thats an airport in the middle of nowhere. Good to see my flag carrier serving other communtiys. Rod Thomas knows wot hes doing!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Just got back from Cyprus so only just heard the news. As much as I want it to work I don't think it will. Heres the facts:

The demand for Norwich-Dublin is huge, but it'll never work with only 3 flights weekly, it has to be once daily at a minimum.

The timings are odd-not much good for business.

There isn't much coverage for the weekend tourist market.

The flight from Cardiff-Norwich is a positioning flight with tickets for sale, it has no commercial viability at all.

I am saying this because I know the reputation my flag carrier has; A property developer from Swansea decided he wanted to make more dosh so got together a bunch of amateurs & set up an airline. The Manchester, Galway, Liverpool & Brussells services have shown that they don't look into the viability of routes, but they see a gap & fill it, whatever the cost. I would love to see this route work but as far as I can see it this is another flawed decision by a worried airline.

ps. the London City route has been cut back- They have reduced their previous twice daily (except Sat) service- it now only runs on Sunday, Monday and Friday.

Member for

24 years 3 months

HUY is odd. I used to live in Hull and hardly used it. AMS is a good link, but come on, how about London at least? The location of HUY lets it down a bit - why not build it actually in Hull?

Member for

21 years

Great news for Norwich, nice to see more and more regional airports getting more and routes.

I am still very surprised that Humberside only has a KLM AMS flight and Eastern Aberdeen flights. Surely some sort of airline has got to pick up a London/Dublin/Belfast/The Spanish Costas, routes soon.

I agree there used to be a service Humberside-Norwich-heathrow for many years by Air UK. When it went those two regions were left with no link to the capital, and it still takes a long time to get to london from both places. Heathrow also lost all transfer business to Amsterdam, as it has from many regional airports.

good news about the Air Wales NWI-DUB/CWL link. I have actually wanted to travel from the southwest to East Anglia before and its not easy at all ! Ended up flying CWL-LCY plus a hire car.