Qantas drops box meals in favor of a la carte service

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

The reign of Qantas's much-maligned boxed meals is about to end, with the return of hot food for economy class passengers in an upgraded a la carte cabin service.
The new service, to be launched on Wednesday, is one of several refinements the airline is introducing to domestic and international flights to meet rising consumer expectations.
It runs against the trend in other parts of the world, where domestic full-service carriers have downgraded cabin offerings to cut costs.
Few tears are likely to be shed for the Neil Perry-inspired boxed meals, which have had a chequered history since their introduction in 2000.
In 2002, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon was forced to acknowledge passenger complaints about the boxes by admitting the airline "forgot to put any food in them".
The new system means passengers will be able to select what they want from a range of gourmet offerings.
Economy passengers, who were recently forced to make do with rolls and muffins, will again be given the option of hot meals.
People travelling on longer flights and business-class passengers will get a choice of two hot meals.
The decision to upgrade service was prompted by Qantas customer and staff research, and is aimed at satisfying business and leisure passengers opting for its two-class service ahead of the low-cost carriers.
It comes after Qantas last year upgraded its east coast-to-Perth economy class to international standards and introduced complimentary wine and beer on evening Cityflyer flights.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Danairboy will be pleased. :p

Member for

20 years 11 months

LOL was just thinking the same!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Danairboy will be pleased. :p

Like LBARULES, he was the first person that crossed my mind when I read that too. I'm now off to scrub my mind....... :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Perhaps the first in a growing trend?

Can we expect others to slowly re-introduce the full service as airlines begin ending the financial quarters in the black again?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think with the fierce competition from Virgin Blue on domestic flights and the fact that the rest of their network is more or less made up of longhaul routes, which even nowadays usually have the hot meals, they needed to do something to make themselves attractive again. I don't think it's the start of a reverse trend personally.

Member for

20 years

The reign of Qantas's much-maligned boxed meals is about to end, with the return of hot food for economy class passengers in an upgraded a la carte cabin service.
The new service, to be launched on Wednesday, is one of several refinements the airline is introducing to domestic and international flights to meet rising consumer expectations.
It runs against the trend in other parts of the world, where domestic full-service carriers have downgraded cabin offerings to cut costs.
Few tears are likely to be shed for the Neil Perry-inspired boxed meals, which have had a chequered history since their introduction in 2000.
In 2002, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon was forced to acknowledge passenger complaints about the boxes by admitting the airline "forgot to put any food in them".
The new system means passengers will be able to select what they want from a range of gourmet offerings.
Economy passengers, who were recently forced to make do with rolls and muffins, will again be given the option of hot meals.
People travelling on longer flights and business-class passengers will get a choice of two hot meals.
The decision to upgrade service was prompted by Qantas customer and staff research, and is aimed at satisfying business and leisure passengers opting for its two-class service ahead of the low-cost carriers.
It comes after Qantas last year upgraded its east coast-to-Perth economy class to international standards and introduced complimentary wine and beer on evening Cityflyer flights.

Well considering the recently announced profit they are still making, and they can afford to give all their staff a $1,000 bonus as well, one would think they should do better with service. Might help get them back in the good books with a few people too.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Yes, have heard about a la carte, etc, however the reality is quite different. The old boxes have definetely gone, however that's about all.

Only last week travelled Melbourne to Brisbane departing at lunchtime ( 12:05 ). I figured we would get a hot meal as widely broadcast and even on the QF website and also over the inflight monitors. Well we ended up with cold and soggy bread roll sandwiches.

Return flight from BNE to MEL was early afternoon ( 13:50 departure) and again expected something decent. No meal in a box and only a choice between a muffin or two fancy packed biscuits. This ala carte Qantas style. What a joke.

Maybe a cup of coffee or tea is what Qantas consider a HOT MEAL !!

I fly QF regularly within OZ and on some international routes where choices are limited and all I can say is that they full of cr????p.