Thai delights

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well some photos in Thailand. Two cabin views of a B777 I flew, a ATR in a flight to Cambodia and some others. Low costs all around and liberalization in asia skies. So much that Thai had to launch a new low cost to retain passengers...first Thai Orient and now One, Two....Go by Thai Orient.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

nice pics Keltic.... i am also planning to visit Cambodia again soon. :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Excellent shots, keltic! What did you think of Thai? I think that cabin shot shows quite nicely the sparsely distributed TV screens in the cabin, making the enjoyment of the inflight entertainment impossible.

Also nice to see the Phuket Air 737-200, not long til my trip with them now... two hundred and something days to go now...! :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

We made one Bangkok-Chiang Mai and then, a Chiang Mai-Siem Reap-Chiang Mai (Charter on a ATR for the Spanish group) and both were OK, not outstanding. Interiors on the B777 were neat and clean, confortable and with lot of room. I love the B777 lockers...quite spacious and not hanging to much on the passengers heads. Breakfast was regular, but plentyfull for a 45 minutes...croissant filled with chicken creolle and mushrooms, danish pastry, tropical fruit salad, orange, tea, coffee and a bar of chocolate. European airlines should learn from THAI. ATR flight was longer and a bit more turbulent but nothing scary. We were offered with a full menu of Thai style pork in coconut curry sauce, rice, salad, and a discerning rambutan mousse followed by beverages and chocolates prior arrival. Charter flights crew were really friendly, and the ones on the B777, well regular.....not that smiling Thai one advertised. In any case not more "silk sari" wear on Thai girls. Regular purple uniform, and white shirt with orchids. Flights were punctual and checking procedures quite quick and effective.

Member for

19 years 9 months

The economy cabin & seats on that Thai B777 look pretty basic imo. I thought most(if not all) B777s had PTVs? Do they operate these a/c on long-haul flights?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not to my knowledge.

As far as I am aware, the 747-400s and MD-11s operate the routes to the destinations furthest away from Bangkok. I think London is the furthest destination and that is operated by 744s, whereas Geneva and Zurich, if I'm not mistaken, get the 744s and occasional MD-11s.

As for looking basic, it may not look as fantastic as some might expect, but I'm certain the 777s are used on short to medium haul services. The seats are comfortable and combined with a fantastic amount of legroom, who even cares about the way the cabin looks?

Thai seems to be an airline in some sort of a time warp. You cannot fly on any aircraft, in any class and get a television all to yourself. Forking out thousands for a First Class ticket gets you a comfy seat which folds into a bed, more crew to passenger ratio, your meal served on a china plate, but no television to yourself. Like the economy passengers, you have to watch what the airline wants you to watch, and entertainment on Thai is nothing special.

In April, Thai announced that radical new changes to the inflight entertainment system would be introduced. However, the nine 747-400s operated by the airline would be changed first - their long haul fleet.

Member for

20 years 1 month

how can you fly a long haul flight without your own TV?!!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Quite easily.

There are other forms of entertainment available on long flights; books, magazines, CD players and more. PTVs are certainly not essential. By flying with an airline with PTVs in the economy cabin, you notice a relatively big difference in price compared to one without.

Member for

19 years 8 months

sheesh....Personal Tv's havent been in service that long...Swissair was the first in 1998 in First/Business class...its only been over the last couple of years that they have been accomodated in Economy/Cattle class.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Agreed. I sometimes don't even use the PTV, except the map display. The screens are too poor for quality viewing - grain-o-rama in economy.

And the number of faulty units I've had - BA, SAA, VS and even EK recently. One in every 3 or 4 flights seems me staring at a useless IFE box.

I do like the camera views you can get on some aircraft - I loved watching the landings when I flew with Emirates recently. Captivating!

Member for

24 years 2 months

sheesh....Personal Tv's havent been in service that long...Swissair was the first in 1998 in First/Business class...its only been over the last couple of years that they have been accomodated in Economy/Cattle class.

Are you sure? I flew VS (economy) in 1999 and they had PTV's. They weren't exactly state of the art even then.