TATTOO

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

don't know if this is the right forum?? maybe!

i've got a few tattoos on my arm one is below short sleeve level, do you think airlines would frown upon this...obviously i can cover this up at the interview but when i'm in the cockpit there will be times when it's visible :confused:

from a passenger point of view i'd imangine that they may not like this (due to stereotypes) etc.

what do you think the airlines would think and also what would you think as a passenger?????

Cheers
DME

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Why don't you just wear a long sleeve shirt ?

Member for

19 years 7 months

Yeah, I could but if it's warm...... do you think it would pose a problem to the airline??

cheers

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yeah, I could but if it's warm...... do you think it would pose a problem to the airline??

cheers

I imagine they'd prefer not to see them, nor the public either. Don't know for certain though.

Member for

19 years 7 months

i should imagine tatoos are frowned upon by the airlines, although the no-frills probably wont mind!

I hate to see a nice-looking young lad with a tatoo, its awful and I think a lot of the travelling public associate tattos with thuggery. It wouldnt inspire confidence if a flightdeck crew member cam out in shirt sleeves and his arms were covered with tatoo, its not in keeping with the image!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Do you have a ring through your nose as well? What about an eyebrow piercing?

Member for

19 years 7 months

danairboy,

funnily enough i did have an eyeborw bar...about 3 years ago.

i know what you mean about it looking thuggish.....i'm considering getting them taken off. Yet another cost to flying :eek:

DME

Member for

24 years 2 months

Do you have a ring through your nose as well? What about an eyebrow piercing?

You arrogant, insulting person. Obviously the stereotypical imagery of a thug works for you then does it?

You know nothing at all about DME who has just asked a perfectly civil question because he wants some advice. You make that comment to him? Talk about disrespectful.

Perhaps you should think yourself lucky that people on this forum aren't taking a stereotypical view of your homosexuality.

DME deserves an apology from you and would be well within his rights to complain to the webmaster.

DME.

Sadly, I think it is true that tattoo's may be frowned upon. Perhaps one of the air or cabin crew who frequent the forum could offer guidelines from their employers?

I wish you well.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

19 years 7 months

kev35,

It's danairboys type of view, along with others that may cause me to remove the tattoos. But at the end of the day I'll be serving the public and if they are not happy with me, then I won't be flying, unfortunately they call the shots !

Not to worry.

DME

Member for

24 years 2 months

Speaking from the cabin side of things a tattoo would not be allowed to be visible. However if for example you had one on your lower arm then a long shirt would be provided so the tattoo could be covered up. If it was on your hand or neck for example then this would not be allowed. Sure most of the airlines work on the same sort of policy. I don't think the flight deck rules for tattoo's would be quite as strict as the cabin crew.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Cheers Softlad, sounds promising, hopefully I can just cover them up or hide in the cockpit :p

DME

Member for

24 years 2 months

If it can be covered by the normal flight uniform, then it is no problem. Many female flight attendance have a small tattoo on their shoulder or above the ass. Which you can easily spot on their overnights at PMI.

If it can not be covered by their flight uniform (winter and sommer) then it might be a problem. Unfortunately many airlines have short sleeve uniform for the male staff during the summer.

Member for

24 years 2 months

DME.

I understand but there's no need for him to show that much disrespect to someone he doesn't even know. Softlad's response is the type I hoped you would get not some crass sniping when you are just seeking advice. I hope, if it's necessary, you can have the tattoos removed.

I just despair at the crass ignorance and arrogance of some people who portray themselves as older than they act. Better not mention my wheelchair use or he'll be calling me a cabbage.

DME, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 2 months

i should imagine tatoos are frowned upon by the airlines, although the no-frills probably wont mind!

I hate to see a nice-looking young lad with a tatoo, its awful and I think a lot of the travelling public associate tattos with thuggery. It wouldnt inspire confidence if a flightdeck crew member cam out in shirt sleeves and his arms were covered with tatoo, its not in keeping with the image!

Here we go again. The no-frills probably won't mind. The arrogance of the man is unbelievable.

As for image, it's not always what it seems. Would you prefer your airline captain to have a tattoo or a drink problem? That perfectly respectable Russian Captain fitted the image until he decided to let his son play with the controls. And wasn't there a Captain who decided to commit suicide and take the aircraft and passengers with him? Certainly fitted the image there.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

19 years 7 months

DME, I have some help for you. There is a type of cover cream you can buy over the counter in chemists, its called Dermablend and it will cover tattos without looking silly. A friend of mine has a big port wine stain on her face and uses this cream.

There is nothing girly about using it as it is means for people with burns and injuries or birthmarks. It is recommended by the Red Cross and is used by many men. It will stay put, wont sweat off or wash off with soap. You buy a special cream to remove it.

Hope this is a bit cheaper and less painful for you x

Member for

24 years 2 months

DME, I have some help for you. There is a type of cover cream you can buy over the counter in chemists, its called Dermablend and it will cover tattos without looking silly. A friend of mine has a big port wine stain on her face and uses this cream.

There is nothing girly about using it as it is means for people with burns and injuries or birthmarks. It is recommended by the Red Cross and is used by many men. It will stay put, wont sweat off or wash off with soap. You buy a special cream to remove it.

Hope this is a bit cheaper and less painful for you x

danairboy.

Brilliant! Why can't all your posts be as helpful and constructive as this one?

Thank you.

kev35

Member for

20 years 2 months

Here we go again. The no-frills probably won't mind. The arrogance of the man is unbelievable.

As for image, it's not always what it seems. Would you prefer your airline captain to have a tattoo or a drink problem? That perfectly respectable Russian Captain fitted the image until he decided to let his son play with the controls. And wasn't there a Captain who decided to commit suicide and take the aircraft and passengers with him? Certainly fitted the image there.

Regards,

kev35

Well said Kev35,

This Pratt is on every god dam thread and just talks pure c**p, can we not get rid of him?

Member for

19 years 7 months

Cheers everyone!

I'll have to have a look at the Dermablend to see what sort of finish it gives.

As for the summer short sleeve shirt, don't think the airline need issue one....I'm in Scotland, haven't seen the sun since 1994 :)

DME

Member for

19 years 7 months

I have as much right to contribute to the threads as you! If you dont like my opinions, fine, offer a different one but dont tell me I cant post. That isnt up to you to decide.

Member for

20 years 10 months

I have no problems with your opinions, its just you present them in such an arrogant horrible fashion, and I think most people are just sick of it.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I have no problems with your opinions, its just you present them in such an arrogant horrible fashion, and I think most people are just sick of it.

Here Here