TENERIFE North/South Photo Report - Last Chapter.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Last of the Tenerife pics....

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

More absolutely fantastic photos, looks like a great place.

Member for

20 years 6 months

The usual staggering shots. The Air Berlin is one of my favourites.

Member for

20 years 1 month

great shots, lovin the condor!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Great photos, only 9 weeks until I go out there :D . I am sorted for viewing at TFS but and info on TFN appreciated, also any ideas which days the Venezuelean DC10s go to TFN?. Also are there and based military, light of bizjets at either airport? Guess more of those at TFN?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Great photos, only 9 weeks until I go out there :D . I am sorted for viewing at TFS but and info on TFN appreciated, also any ideas which days the Venezuelean DC10s go to TFN?. Also are there and based military, light of bizjets at either airport? Guess more of those at TFN?

Didn't see many biz/light at either airport.
I think the Santa Barbara DC-10 visits TFN Fridays, as for military, there were none at TFS but there was a Spanish Army Base at TFN, possibly with Heli's but I didn't see any, I believe Gran Canaria is where the Spanish Air Force have a base with F-18's.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Superb pics.......the My Travel 767 looks really impressive.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Superb pics.......the My Travel 767 looks really impressive.

First '767' with winglets :eek: :D

Member for

20 years

Impressive....it looks manky, nothing a bit of soap and water wouldnt sort out, or a coat of new My Travel paint.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Is this the infamous Los Rodeos, scene of the worlds worst air disaster?????

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, KLM and PAN AM jumbos crashed on fog when the dutch plane misunderstood the controler orders. He had to hold while the PAN AM was on the runway to leave it, so started to take off and crashed with the back of the american jet. All on the Dutch plane perished and there was almost 70 survivors on the american jet. Almost 600 death. TFN was designed by a german engineer and before starting the works had to go back home, so he marked a map of the islands where an airport shouldn´t be built. Local authorities though that the ticks meant "suitable areas" and chose a location close to Santa Cruz (the capital) and next to La Laguna (the old capital) and where most habitants live. It´s tricky......fog all the time and surounded by obstacles and mountains. The main problems lies on the approach even in daylight and good visibilty. It´s on the coast, up on a hill, and there are also low clouds, so planes come from the sea, and have to get the plane up and between the runway and the clouds. The gap is not much, and if an engine fails, they might encounter difficulties in climbing. Specially for regional propeller planes (Islas and Binter)......why many airlines still uses it?, why Iberia flies there with A340 and big planes?. Well locals and not tourists fly there.....its where the capital lies and it´s the most dense area. In any case, safety standards are high. Other crashes; an Iberia Constellation in the sixties and a Dan Air B727 in the eighties crashed for bad visibility. Most Spanish airports have flights to either TFS and TFN. From SCQ we have a scheduled CRJ to TFN and bigger charter planes to TFS.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Yes, KLM and PAN AM jumbos crashed on fog when the dutch plane misunderstood the controler orders. He had to hold while the PAN AM was on the runway to leave it, so started to take off and crashed with the back of the american jet. All on the Dutch plane perished and there was almost 70 survivors on the american jet. Almost 600 death. TFN was designed by a german engineer and before starting the works had to go back home, so he marked a map of the islands where an airport shouldn´t be built. Local authorities though that the ticks meant "suitable areas" and chose a location close to Santa Cruz (the capital) and next to La Laguna (the old capital) and where most habitants live. It´s tricky......fog all the time and surounded by obstacles and mountains. The main problems lies on the approach even in daylight and good visibilty. It´s on the coast, up on a hill, and there are also low clouds, so planes come from the sea, and have to get the plane up and between the runway and the clouds. The gap is not much, and if an engine fails, they might encounter difficulties in climbing. Specially for regional propeller planes (Islas and Binter)......why many airlines still uses it?, why Iberia flies there with A340 and big planes?. Well locals and not tourists fly there.....its where the capital lies and it´s the most dense area. In any case, safety standards are high. Other crashes; an Iberia Constellation in the sixties and a Dan Air B727 in the eighties crashed for bad visibility. Most Spanish airports have flights to either TFS and TFN. From SCQ we have a scheduled CRJ to TFN and bigger charter planes to TFS.

Good post, and here are some pics to show the extremes of weather you can get up on the hill --

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pics are excelent indeed.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Excellent photos. I really like the departing MyTravel A330! :D

One thing that bugs me is Spanair and the fact that it is in the Star Alliance - I really can't understand why such a small airline is working with a group of bigger, more well-known airlines like United, Singapore Airlines, Thai and Air Canada.

Member for

24 years 3 months

You make a good point, Michael, but at the same time, should an Airline Alliance only be limited to the Big Boys? I personally don't think so. Spanair serves a Market where Star would have a relatively small presence otherwise. Sure, TAP recently agreed to join, but that's not even official yet and Spanair has been a member for a few years now.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And Spanair are owned by SAS, whch probably further explains it...