Carlisle - Luton

Member for

14 years 11 months

http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=163665 Ex Flybe Bae 146-100 charters and daily Luton service Odd times to LTN in the evening, return in the morning Why not LCY?
Original post
Profile picture for user LBARULES

Member for

16 years 5 months

That surely wont work, Carlisle has very little in the way of facilities for business PAX, Luton will not be their preffered option and with 1 flight a day their is little if any flexibility. Cant see it been particularly popular with leisure travellers either.
Profile picture for user bmi-star

Member for

15 years 7 months

As Tom said it will not work. I've been to Carlise airport many a time, and its a good 7 miles out, with the main road to Newcastle running past it, not in very good condition. Althought a bus service could be run to the city, it still won't work. Tho the area needs a service to London, instead of the 5 hr train journey down!

Member for

16 years 5 months

And of course, NCL has goodness knows how many flights day to LHR and LGW with BA and STN with EZY.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Exactly, tho NCL is not that easy to reach from Carlisle, i know as i've done it!
Profile picture for user Britannia

Member for

15 years 11 months

tho NCL is not that easy to reach from Carlisle, i know as i've done it!
Long drive on the A69.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Long drive on the A69.
Exactly! :rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 5 months

Well people always say 'Airlines shouldnt start flights from LBA and MAN as they are too close', its about a 1 and a half to 2 hour drive in rush hour so I suppose you have a point about Carlisle and Newcastle. Still cant see it working though.
Profile picture for user captainben

Member for

15 years 8 months

Exactly, tho NCL is not that easy to reach from Carlisle, i know as i've done it!
Like Chris said, a long drive along the A69. But then again, there is a train, and the 685 bus from Carlisle to Eldon Square. I was on it a couple of weeks ago, it only took just over an hour.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Seems very likely to attract few pax with those schedules. Say a 0700 departure to LGW or LCY and a departing service from either at 1800 may attract some pax but not enough foe a 146. Why don't these startups use something like a leased BAE31 or Saab 340 then buld up traffic?
Profile picture for user EAL_KING

Member for

16 years 4 months

well in airliner world magazine a few months ago it did say they where expanding and offering their airport to all airlines. a £25 million redevelopment was propsed i think.